Constrained inefficiency and optimal taxation with uninsurable risks
AbstractWhen individuals' labor and capital income are subject to uninsurable idiosyncratic risks, should capital and labor be taxed, and if so how? In a two period general equilibrium model with production, we derive a decomposition formula of the welfare e ects of these taxes into insurance and distribution e ects. This allows us to determine how the sign of the optimal taxes on capital and labor depend on the nature of the shocks, the degree of heterogeneity among consumers' income as well as on the way in which the tax revenue is used to provide lump sum transfers to consumers. When shocks a ect primarily labor income and heterogeneity is small, the optimal tax on capital is positive. However in other cases a negative tax on capital is welfare improving.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Canon Institute for Global Studies in its series CIGS Working Paper Series with number 14-002E.
Date of creation: Jan 2014
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii & Tomoyuki Nakajima, 2010. "Constrained Inefficiency and Optimal Taxation with Uninsurable Risks," KIER Working Papers 694, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii & Tomoyuki Nakajima, 2010. "Constrained Inefficiency and Optimal Taxation with Uninsurable Risks," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/02, European University Institute.
- NEP-ALL-2014-05-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2014-05-04 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-PBE-2014-05-04 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julio Dávila & Jay H. Hong & Per Krusell & José‐Víctor Ríos‐Rull, 2012.
"Constrained Efficiency in the Neoclassical Growth Model With Uninsurable Idiosyncratic Shocks,"
Econometric Society, vol. 80(6), pages 2431-2467, November.
- Julio Davila & Jay H. Hong & Per Krusell & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull, 2005. "Constrained efficiency in the neoclassical growth model with uninsurable idiosyncratic shocks," PIER Working Paper Archive 05-023, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- DAVILA, Julio & HONG, Jay H. & KRUSELL, Per & RIOS-RULL, José-Victor, . "Constrained efficiency in the neoclassical growth model with uninsurable idiosyncratic shocks," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2463, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Julio Davila & Jay H. Hong & Per Krusell & José-Victor Rios Rull, 2005. "Constrained efficiency in the neoclassical growth model with uninsurable idiosyncratic shocks," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques b05066, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew Weinzierl & Danny Yagan, 2009.
"Optimal Taxation in Theory and Practice,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 23(4), pages 147-74, Fall.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew Weinzierl & Danny Yagan, 2009. "Optimal Taxation in Theory and Practice," NBER Working Papers 15071, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Weinzierl, Matthew Charles & Yagan, Danny Ferris, 2009. "Optimal Taxation in Theory and Practice," Scholarly Articles 4263739, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew C. Weinzierl & Danny Yagan, 2009. "Optimal Taxation in Theory and Practice," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-140, Harvard Business School.
- George-Marios Angeletos, 2007. "Uninsured Idiosyncratic Investment Risk and Aggregate Saving," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 10(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985.
"Redistributive taxation in a simple perfect foresight model,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1982. "Redistributive Taxation in a Simple Perfect Foresight Model," Discussion Papers 572, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1975. "On the optimality of equilibrium when the market structure is incomplete," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 418-443, December.
- Aiyagari, S Rao, 1995.
"Optimal Capital Income Taxation with Incomplete Markets, Borrowing Constraints, and Constant Discounting,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(6), pages 1158-75, December.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1994. "Optimal capital income taxation with incomplete markets, borrowing constraints, and constant discounting," Working Papers 508, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1998.
"Optimal fiscal and monetary policy,"
251, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1982. "The Inefficiency of the Stock Market Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 241-61, April.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00196183 is not listed on IDEAS
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii & Tomoyuki Nakajima, 2010.
"Optimal taxation and constrained inefficiency in an infinite-horizon economy with incomplete markets,"
KIER Working Papers
745, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii & Tomoyuki Nakajima, 2011. "Optimal taxation and constrained inefficiency in an infinite-horizon economy with incomplete markets," Economics Working Papers ECO2011/18, European University Institute.
- Tomoyuki Nakajima & Atsushi Kajii & Piero Gottardi, 2011. "Optimal taxation and constrained inefficiency in an in finite-horizon economy with incomplete markets," 2011 Meeting Papers 455, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii & Tomoyuki Nakajima, 2011. "Optimal Taxation and Constrained Inefficiency in an Infinite-Horizon Economy with Incomplete Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 3560, CESifo Group Munich.
- Acikgoz, Omer, 2013. "Transitional Dynamics and Long-run Optimal Taxation Under Incomplete Markets," MPRA Paper 50160, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sigrid Röhrs & Christoph Winter, 2011. "Wealth inequality and the optimal level of government debt," ECON - Working Papers 051, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The Canon Institute for Global Studies).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.