Family Involvement In Management And Firm Performance: Evidence From Italy
AbstractUsing Total Factor Productivity (TFP) as a measure of corporate performance, this study compares the performance of owner management to that of firms run by professional managers over the period 2004-2006. We consider the influence of owner management for the sample as a whole and for subgroups of firms. The findings demonstrate that family run firms are less productive than firms run by professional managers, but the difference between the two is small. Our results support the idea that in Italy there is not a genuine process of manager selection both for family and no-family firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica) in its series Working Papers with number 201103.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza, Ponte Pietro Bucci, Cubo 0/C, I-87036 Arcavacata di Rende, CS, Italy
Phone: +39 0984 492413
Fax: +39 0984 492421
Web page: http://www.unical.it/portale/strutture/dipartimenti_240/disesf/
More information through EDIRC
TFP; Family firms; Management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-03-19 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2011-03-19 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2011-03-19 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-EUR-2011-03-19 (Microeconomic European Issues)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Riccardo Faini & Alessandra Tucci, 2008.
"Does Family Control Affect Trade Performance? Evidence for Italian Firms,"
Development Working Papers
260, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Riccardo Faini & Alessandra Tucci, 2008. "Does Family Control Affect Trade Performance? Evidence for Italian Firms," CEP Discussion Papers dp0896, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Faini, Riccardo & Tucci, Alessandra, 2008. "Does Family Control Affect Trade Performance? Evidence for Italian Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 7082, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Riccardo Faini & Alessandra Tucci, 2008. "Does family control affect trade performance?: evidence for Italian firms," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 28509, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Dodero).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.