A Classification of Games by Player Type
AbstractIn this paper I classify situations of interdependent decision-making, or games based on the type of decision-makers, or players involved. The classification builds on a distinction between three basic types of decision-making agents: individuals, cooperative or unitary groups -- groups whose members can reach a binding (and costless) agreement on a joint strategy -- and non-cooperative groups -- groups whose members act independently without being able to make a binding agreement. Pitting individuals, unitary groups, and non-cooperative groups against one another, and adding Nature as a potential âopponentâ, generates a 3 (type of agent) X 4 (type of opponent) matrix of social situations. This framework is used to review the experimental decision-making literature and point out the gaps that still exist in it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UCLA Department of Economics in its series Levine's Bibliography with number 321307000000000739.
Date of creation: 12 Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.dklevine.com/
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2007-01-23 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-GTH-2007-01-23 (Game Theory)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Philippe Raab & Burkhard C. Schipper, 2004.
"Cournot Competition between Teams: An Experimental Study,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse13_2004, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Raab, Philippe & Schipper, Burkhard C., 2009. "Cournot competition between teams: An experimental study," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 691-702, November.
- Burkhard C. Schipper & Philippe Raab, 2006. "Cournot Competition between Teams: An Experimental Study," Working Papers 626, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David K. Levine).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.