Dynamic Modelling of Nonresponse in Business Surveys
AbstractIt is well-known that nonresponse affects the results of surveys and can even causebias due to selectivities if it cannot be regarded as missing at random. In contrast tohousehold surveys, response behaviour in business surveys has been examined rarely inthe literature. This paper is one of the first which analyses a large business survey onmicro data level for unit nonresponse. The data base is the Ifo Business TendencySurvey, which was established in 1949 and has more than 5,000 responding firms eachmonth. The panel structure allows to use statistical modelling including time-varyingeffects to check for the existence of a panel fatigue. The results show that there are hugedifferences in business characteristics such as size or sub-sector and that nonresponse ismore frequent in economically good times.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich in its series Ifo Working Paper Series with number Ifo Working Paper Nr. 93.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Business survey; logistic regression; nonresponse; panel survey; varyingcoefficient model.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ces:ifosdt:v::y:2009:i::p:34-41 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sascha O. Becker & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2007. "Micro Data at the Ifo Institute for Economic Research – The “Ifo Business Survey”, Usage and Access," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 47, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- John Maindonald, . "Generalized Additive Models: An Introduction with R," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(b03).
- Janik, Florian & Kohaut, Susanne, 2009. "Why don't they answer? Unit non-response in the IAB Establishment Panel," FDZ Methodenreport 200907_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Klaus Abberger & Manuel Birnbrich & Christian Seiler, 2009. "Der »Test des Tests« im Handel – eine Metaumfrage zum ifo Konjunkturtest," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 62(21), pages 34-41, November.
- Denise Hawkes & Ian Plewis, 2006. "Modelling non-response in the National Child Development Study," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 169(3), pages 479-491.
- Anja Hönig, 2009. "The New EBDC Dataset: An Innovative Combination of Survey and Financial Statement Data," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 10(4), pages 62-63, 01.
- Christian Seiler, 2013. "Nonresponse in Business Tendency Surveys: Theoretical Discourse and Empirical Evidence," ifo Beiträge zur Wirtschaftsforschung, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 52, December.
- Anja Hönig, 2010. "Linkage of Ifo Survey and Balance-Sheet Data: The EBDC Business Expectations Panel & the EBDC Business Investment Panel," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 130(4), pages 635-642.
- Strasser, Georg, 2013. "Exchange rate pass-through and credit constraints," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 25-38.
- Christian Seiler, 2012. "Zur Robustheit des ifo Geschäftsklimaindikators in Bezug auf fehlende Werte," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 65(17), pages 19-22, 09.
- Seiler, Christian & Heumann, Christian, 2013.
"Microdata imputations and macrodata implications: Evidence from the Ifo Business Survey,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 722-733.
- Seiler, Christian & Heumann, Christian, 2012. "Microdata imputations and macrodata implications: evidence from the Ifo Business Survey," MPRA Paper 37045, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Seiler, 2012. "On the Robustness of the Balance Statistics with respect to Nonresponse," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 126, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.