Neutral and Equitable Taxation of Pensions as Capital Income
AbstractWe derive an ex post neutral comprehensive income tax on pension schemes equivalent to a Johansson-Samuelson tax that guarantees non-discriminatory treatment of lifetime-dependent and other investments. By separately taxing contributions and benefits, our concept does not require any assumptions on the return of a pension scheme and, therefore, is of special interest for taxing public PAYGO schemes. Assuming constant tax and interest rates, the system is characterized by constant fractions of deductible contributions and taxable pensions. The tax base from neutral pension taxation considerably exceeds the one under existing legislation, e.g. in Germany or in the U.S.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 706.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1964. "Tax Deductibility of Economic Depreciation to Insure Invariant Valuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 604.
- Kiesewetter, Dirk & Niemann, Rainer, 2001.
"Beiträge und Rentenzahlungen in einer entscheidungsneutralen Einkommensteuer,"
212, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Kiesewetter, Dirk & Niemann, Rainer, 2001.
"Beiträge und Rentenzahlungen in einer entscheidungsneutralen Einkommensteuer
[Contributions and pension payments in a decision-neutral income tax]," MPRA Paper 27324, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kiesewetter, Dirk & Niemann, Rainer, 2001. "Beiträge und Rentenzahlungen in einer entscheidungsneutralen Einkommensteuer
- Robin Boadway & Neil Bruce, 1982.
"A General Proposition on the Design of a Neutral Business Tax,"
461, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Boadway, Robin & Bruce, Neil, 1984. "A general proposition on the design of a neutral business tax," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 231-239, July.
- Wagener, Andreas, 2004.
"On intergenerational risk sharing within social security schemes,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 181-206, March.
- Andreas Wagener, 2001. "On Intergenerational Risk Sharing within Social Security Schemes," CESifo Working Paper Series 499, CESifo Group Munich.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel, 2000. "Incentive effects of social security on labor force participation: evidence in Germany and across Europe," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1-2), pages 25-49, October.
- Homburg, Stefan, 2000. "Compulsory savings in the welfare state," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 233-239, August.
- Peter Sørensen, 1994. "From the global income tax to the dual income tax: Recent tax reforms in the Nordic countries," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 57-79, February.
- Sijbren Cnossen, 1999. "Taxing Capital Income in the Nordic Countries: A Model for the European Union?," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 56(1), pages 18-, March.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Schnabel, Reinhold, 1998. "Social Security and Declining Labor-Force Participation in Germany," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 173-78, May.
- Lukach, R. & Plasmans, J.E.J., 2002. "Measuring Knowledge Spillovers using Patent Citations: Evidence from the Belgian Firm's Data," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-92281, Tilburg University.
- Brassat, Marcel & Kiesewetter, Dirk, 2002.
"Steuervorteile durch Versorgungszusagen in Arbeitsverträgen,"
248, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Brassat, Marcel & Kiesewetter, Dirk, 2003.
"Steuervorteile durch Versorgungszusagen in Arbeitsverträgen
[Tax benefits from employer-sponsored pension plans]," MPRA Paper 27262, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brassat, Marcel & Kiesewetter, Dirk, 2003. "Steuervorteile durch Versorgungszusagen in Arbeitsverträgen
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.