Investment in Broadband Infrastructure Under Local Deregulation: Evidence from the U.K. Broadband Market
AbstractThis paper investigates telecommunication operator investment in broadband infrastructure after local deregulation of the wholesale broadband access market. Using a panel dataset covering all 5,598 exchange areas in the United Kingdom, we exploit regional differences in deregulation following a 2008 reform. Controlling for initial conditions, first-difference estimates show that local deregulation increases local investment in infrastructure by both the incumbent and competitors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 4277.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
telecommunication; regulation; infrastructure investment; wholesale broadband access; United Kingdom;
Other versions of this item:
- Fabritz, Nadine & Falck, Oliver, 2013. "Investment in broadband infrastructure under local deregulation: Evidence from the UK broadband market," 24th European Regional ITS Conference, Florence 2013, International Telecommunications Society (ITS) 88513, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- L50 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - General
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2004. "Service-based vs. facility-based competition in local access networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 287-306, June.
- Nardotto, Mattia & Valletti, Tommaso & Verboven, Frank, 2012. "Unbundling the incumbent: Evidence from UK broadband," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 9194, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabritz, Nadine & Falck, Oliver, 2013.
"Local deregulation of the wholesale broadband access market,"
Munich Reprints in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics
20520, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Nadine Fabritz & Oliver Falck, 2014. "Local Deregulation of the Wholesale Broadband Access Market," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 11(4), pages 38-43, 01.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2013.
"The Endgame of Telecommunications Policy? A Survey,"
Review of Economics, ,
, vol. 64(3), pages 193-269.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2013. "The Endgame of Telecommunications Policy? A Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series, CESifo Group Munich 4545, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.