Does bank failure affect client firms? Micro evidence from Estonia
AbstractI explore the effect of a bank's failure on its client firms using the 1998 bankruptcy of a middle-sized Estonian bank.I compare the performance of firms receiving credit from the bankrupt bank to that of a randomly selected set of firms between 1996 and 2000.I find the client firms to be less likely to survive until the end of the sample frame even after controlling for their performance before the bank bankruptcy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague in its series CERGE-EI Working Papers with number wp224.
Date of creation: May 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
Bank failure; Client firm performance; Firm bankruptcy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grosfeld, Irena & Roland, Gérard, 1995.
"Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
1135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grosfeld, I. & Roland, G., 1995. "Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises," DELTA Working Papers, DELTA (Ecole normale supÃ©rieure) 95-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Westgaard, Sjur & van der Wijst, Nico, 2001. "Default probabilities in a corporate bank portfolio: A logistic model approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 338-349, December.
- Yamori, Nobuyoshi & Murakami, Akinobu, 1999. "Does bank relationship have an economic value?: The effect of main bank failure on client firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 115-120, October.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996.
"Stock markets, banks, and economic growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1690, The World Bank.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1998. "Stock Markets, Banks, and Economic Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 537-58, June.
- Ross Levine & Sara Zervos, . "Stock markets, banks and economic growth ," CERF Discussion Paper Series, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University 95-11, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Abildgren, Kim & Vølund Buchholst, Birgitte & Staghøj, Jonas, 2013. "Bank-firm relationships and the survival of non-financial firms during the financial crisis 2008-2009," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 1516, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.