The Japanese Equal Employment Opportunity Law: Its Effects on Personnel Management Policies and Womens Attitudes
AbstractMay 1985 the Japanese government passed the Equal Employment Opportunity Law (hereafter referred to as EEO Law) which took effect from April 1986. The enactment of the EEO Law has aroused much controversy and debate unprecedented in the history of lbour legislation in Japan. It prohibits discrimination against women in vocational training, fringe benefits, retirement and dismissal. It also urges employers to 'endavour' to treat women equally with men with regard to recruitment, job assignment and promotion. This paper analyses the nature of the EEO Law and looks at its effects on companies' personnel policies. It also examines how the law has affected Japanese women's career consciousness based on attitude surveys conducted at a 'good practice' company before and after the enactment of the law.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - International Studies Paper Series with number 254.
Date of creation: 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
Other versions of this item:
- Lam, Alice, 1992. "The Japanese Equal Employment Opportunity Law: Its Effects on Personnel Management Policies and Women's Attitudes," MPRA Paper 11559, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- J4 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets
- J7 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Linda N. Edwards, 1988. "Equal employment opportunity in Japan: A view from the West," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(2), pages 240-250, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.