What can (macro-)prudential policy do to support monetary policy?
AbstractIn the economic environment that has been emerging over the last couple of decades, it is more likely that the occasional build-up of financial imbalances, typically in the form of unsustainable credit and asset price booms, will occur against the background of low and stable inflation, posing a potential threat to financial and macroeconomic stability. This means that the scope for monetary policy to lean against the build-up may be more constrained than in the past, when those imbalances would normally develop alongside rising inflation. This puts a premium on a strengthening of the macroprudential orientation of prudential frameworks, designed to restrain the build up of the imbalances and to make the financial system better able to withstand their unwinding. In this paper, we review the progress made in this direction in recent years. We conclude that there is now a much keener awareness of the importance of a macroprudential orientation but that progress in making it operational, while considerable, has been slower. The main obstacles are of an analytical and, above all, institutional/political economy nature. We suggest ways in which these obstacles could be addressed and underline the potential complementary role that adjustments in monetary policy frameworks could play.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Working Papers with number 242.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2007
Date of revision:
financial stability; price stability; financial imbalances; macroprudential; financial regulation and supervision; monetary policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-02-02 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MON-2008-02-02 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bank for International Settlements, 2005. "Investigating the relationship between the financial and real economy," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 22, May.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2006. "The banking system in emerging economies: how much progress has been made?," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 28, May.
- Philip Turner, 2006. "The banking system in emerging economies: how much progress has been made?," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The banking system in emerging economies: how much progress has been made?, volume 28, pages 1-9 Bank for International Settlements.
- Konstantinos Tsatsaronis, 2005. "Investigating the relationship between the financial and real economy," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Investigating the relationship between the financial and real economy, volume 22, pages 1-4 Bank for International Settlements.
- Philip Lowe & Claudio Borio, 2002. "Asset prices, financial and monetary stability: exploring the nexus," BIS Working Papers 114, Bank for International Settlements.
- Ann Spehar, 2009.
"The Great Moderation and the New Business Cycle,"
World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 10(1), January.
- Crowe, Christopher & Dell’Ariccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Rabanal, Pau, 2013.
"How to deal with real estate booms: Lessons from country experiences,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 300-319.
- Pau Rabanal & Christopher W. Crowe & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Deniz Igan, 2011. "How to Deal with Real Estate Booms: Lessons from Country Experiences," IMF Working Papers 11/91, International Monetary Fund.
- Schou-Zibell, Lotte & Albert, Jose Ramon & Song, Lei Lei, 2010. "A Macroprudential Framework for Monitoring and Examining Financial Soundness," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 43, Asian Development Bank.
- Siregar, Reza Yamora & Lim & C.S. Vincent, 2010.
"The Role of Central Banks in Sustaining Economic Recovery and in Achieving Financial Stability,"
South East Asian Central Banks (SEACEN) Research and Training Centre, number sp74, June.
- Reza Yamora Siregar & Vincent Choon Seng Lim, 2010. "The Role of Central Banks in Sustaining Economic Recovery and in Achieving Financial Stability," Journal of Advanced Studies in Finance, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 83-99, June.
- Siregar, Reza Yamora & Lim, CS Vincent, 2010. "The Role of Central Banks in Sustaining Economic Recovery and in Achieving Financial Stability," MPRA Paper 20846, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Paolo Mauro, 2013. "Rethinking Macro Policy II: Getting Granular," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 13/003, International Monetary Fund.
- Canuto, Otaviano & Cavallari, Matheus, 2013. "Asset Prices, Macroprudential Regulation, and Monetary Policy," World Bank - Economic Premise, The World Bank, issue 116, pages 1-8, May.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Ioannis, Daniilidis & Manthos, Delis, 2013.
"Bank procyclicality and output: Issues and policies,"
50830, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Daniilidis, Ioannis & Delis, Manthos D., 2014. "Bank procyclicality and output: Issues and policies," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 58-83.
- Yung Chul Park, 2011. "The Role of Macroprudential Policy for Financial Stability in East Asiaâ€™s Emerging Economies," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23252, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Canuto, Otaviano & Cavallari, Matheus, 2013. "Monetary policy and macroprudential regulation : whither emerging markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6310, The World Bank.
- Erlend Nier, 2009. "Financial Stability Frameworks and the Role of Central Banks: Lessons from the Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/70, International Monetary Fund.
- Rakesh Mohan, 2008. "The Role of Fiscal and Monetary Policies in Sustaining Growth with Stability in India," Working Papers id:1778, eSocialSciences.
- Albert, Jose Ramon G. & Schou-Zibell, Lotte & Song, Lei Lei, 2012. "A Macroprudential Framework for Monitoring and Examining Financial Soundness," Discussion Papers DP 2012-22, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Alasdair Scott & Pau Rabanal & Prakash Kannan, 2009. "Macroeconomic Patterns and Monetary Policy in the Run-up to Asset Price Busts," IMF Working Papers 09/252, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.