On the Asymptotic Properties of a Feasible Estimator of the Continuous Time Long Memory Parameter
AbstractThis paper considers a fractional noise model in continuous time and examines the asymptotic properties of a feasible frequency domain maximum likelihood estimator of the long memory parameter. The feasible estimator is one that maximises an approximation to the likelihood function (the approximation arises from the fact that the spectral density function involves the finite truncatin of an infinite summation). It is of interest therefore to explore the conditions required of this approximation to ensure the consistency and asymptotic normality of this estimator. It is shown that the truncation parameter has to be a function of the sample size and that the optimal rate is different for stocks and flows and is a function of the long memory parameter itself. The results of a simulation exercise are provided to assess the small sample properties of the estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Birmingham in its series Discussion Papers with number 10-09.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Continuous time models; long memory processes;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-03-28 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-03-28 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ercolani, Joanne S. & Chambers, Marcus J., 2006. "Estimation Of Differential-Difference Equation Systems With Unknown Lag Parameters," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(03), pages 483-498, June.
- Chambers, Marcus J. & McGarry, Joanne S., 2002. "Modeling Cyclical Behavior With Differential-Difference Equations In An Unobserved Components Framework," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 387-419, April.
- Chambers, Marcus J., 1996. "The Estimation of Continuous Parameter Long-Memory Time Series Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(02), pages 374-390, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Rowat).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.