Productivity, Quality, and Export Intensities
AbstractWe study how firm and foreign market characteristics affect the geographic distribution of exporterssales. To this purpose, we use export intensities (the ratio of exports to sales) across destinations as our key measures of firmsrelative involvement in heterogeneous foreign markets. In a representative sample of Italian manufacturing firms, we find a robust negative correlation between revenue-TFP and export intensity to low-income destinations and, more generally, that the correlations between export intensities and TFP are increasing in per capita income of the foreign destinations. We argue that these (and other) empirical regularities can arise from the interplay between (endogenous) cross-firm heterogeneity in product quality and cross-country heterogeneity in quality consumption. To test this conjecture, we propose a new strategy to proxy for product quality that allows to exploit some unique features of our dataset. Our results strongly suggest that rms producing higher-quality products tend to concentrate their sales in the domestic and other high-income markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Barcelona Graduate School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 457.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Heterogeneous Firms; Export Intensities; Quality; Technical Efficiency; Total Factor Productivity (TFP);
Other versions of this item:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ackerberg, Daniel & Lanier Benkard, C. & Berry, Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 2007. "Econometric Tools for Analyzing Market Outcomes," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 63 Elsevier.
- Amiti, M. & Konings, Joep, 2007.
"Trade liberalization, intermediate inputs, and productivity: evidence from Indonesia,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/197555, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Mary Amiti & Jozef Konings, 2007. "Trade Liberalization, Intermediate Inputs, and Productivity: Evidence from Indonesia," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(5), pages 1611-1638, December.
- Mary Amiti & Jozef Konings, 2005. "Trade Liberalization, Intermediate Inputs, and Productivity: Evidence from Indonesia," IMF Working Papers 05/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Amiti, Mary & Konings, Jozef, 2005. "Trade Liberalization, Intermediate Inputs and Productivity: Evidence from Indonesia," CEPR Discussion Papers 5104, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eleonora Cavallaro & Piero Esposito & Alessia Matano & Marcella Mulino, 2012. "Technological catching up, quality of exports and competitiveness: a sectoral perspective," Working Papers 158, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Bratti, Massimiliano & Felice, Giulia, 2009. "Exporting and Product Innovation at the Firm Level," MPRA Paper 18915, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francesco Serti & Chiara Tomasi, 2009. "Self-selection along different export and import markets," LEM Papers Series 2009/18, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Andrea Caggese & Vicente Cunat, 2013.
"Financing Constraints, Firm Dynamics, Export Decisions, and Aggregate Productivity,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 16(1), pages 177-193, January.
- Andrea Caggese & Vicente Cunat, 2012. "Code and data files for "Financing Constraints, Firm Dynamics, Export Decisions, and Aggregate Productivity"," Computer Codes 11-37, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Vicente Cunat & Andrea Caggese, 2011. "Financing Constraints, Firm Dynamics, Export Decisions, and Aggregate productivity," 2011 Meeting Papers 187, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andrea Caggese & Vincente Cunat, 2011. "Financing Constraints, Firm Dynamics, Export Decisions and Aggregate productivity," FMG Discussion Papers dp685, Financial Markets Group.
- Hélène Latzer & Florian Mayneris, 2011.
"Trade in quality and income distribution: an analysis of the enlarged EU market,"
Working Papers of BETA
2011-21, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- LATZER, Hélène & MAYNERIS, Florian, 2012. "Income distribution and vertical comparative advantage. Theory and evidence," CORE Discussion Papers 2012034, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hélène LATZER & Florian MAYNERIS, 2012. "Income distribution and vertical comparative advantage Theory and evidence," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2012018, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 20 Oct 2012.
- Italo Colantone & Rosario Crinò, 2011. "New Imported Inputs, New Domestic Products," Development Working Papers 312, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.