Scale-free tails in Colombian financial indexes: A primer
AbstractA maximum likelihood method for estimating the power-law exponent verifies that the positive and negative tails of the Colombian stock market index (IGBC) and the Colombian peso exchange rate (TRM) approximate a scale-free distribution, whereas none of the heavy tails of a local sovereign securities index (IDXTES) are a plausible case for such distribution. Results also (i) support critiques regarding the flaws of ordinary least squares estimation methods for scale-free distributions; (ii) question the validity of Zipf’s law; (iii) suggest that IGBC and TRM display the scale-free nature documented as a stylized fact of financial returns, and that they may be following a gradually truncated Lévy flight; and (iv) suggest that local financial markets are self-organized systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 812.
Date of creation: Mar 2014
Date of revision:
Scale-free; Power-law; Zipf’s law; Financial returns. Classification JEL: C46; C58; G32;
Other versions of this item:
- Carlos León, 2014. "Scale-free tails in Colombian financial indexes: a primer," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 011144, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- C46 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Specific Distributions
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-03-15 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- X. Freixas & B. Parigi & J-C. Rochet, 2000.
"Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by theCentral Bank,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued), Netherlands Central Bank
47, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno M. Parigi & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2000. "Systemic risk, interbank relations, and liquidity provision by the central bank," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 611-640.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno M & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2000. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations, and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 611-38, August.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi & Jean Charles Rochet, 1998. "Systemic risk, interbank relations and liquidity provision by the Central Bank," Economics Working Papers, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra 440, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 1999.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno & Rochet, Jean Charles, 1999. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 2325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alejandro Reveiz & Carlos Eduardo León Rincón, .
"Índice representativo del mercado de deuda pública interna: IDXTES,"
Borradores de Economia
488, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Alejandro Reveiz Herault & Carlos Eduardo León Rincón, 2008. "Índice representativo del mercado de deuda pública interna: IDXTES," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 004522, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Eugene F. Fama, 1963. "Mandelbrot and the Stable Paretian Hypothesis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 420.
- Davide Fiaschi & Imre Kondor & Matteo Marsili & Valerio Volpati, 2013. "The Interrupted Power Law and The Size of Shadow Banking," Papers 1309.2130, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2014.
- Marsili, Matteo, 2003. "Scale invariance and criticality in financial markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 17-24.
- Gabaix, Xavier & Gopikrishnan, Parameswaran & Plerou, Vasiliki & Stanley, H.Eugene, 2003. "Understanding the cubic and half-cubic laws of financial fluctuations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 1-5.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.