The Euro-Area Government Securities Markets. Recent Developments and Implications for Market Functioning
AbstractThis paper analyses recent key developments in euro-area government bond markets and their main implications for central banks and for market functioning. The introduction of the euro is found to have significantly affected the relative pricing of securities. The spreads over German bonds of previously high-yield debt have narrowed significantly whereas the spreads of all other euro-area sovereign debt have widened following the introduction of the euro. Market microstructure factors, such as relative market liquidity and the cheapest-to-deliver status of bonds, are also found to play a part in determining relative prices in addition to differences in credit risk. Finally, the evidence suggests that the reduction in the relative supply of government bonds has hitherto had a limited effect in the euro area, in contrast to the evidence in the US market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Espa�a in its series Banco de Espa�a Working Papers with number 0120.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Balli, Faruk, 2008.
"Spillover Effects on Government Bond Yields in Euro Zone. Does Full Financial Integration Exist in European Government Bond Markets?,"
10162, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Faruk Balli, 2009. "Spillover effects on government bond yields in euro zone. Does full financial integration exist in European government bond markets?," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 331-363, October.
- Marta Gómez-Puig, .
"Monetary integration and the cost of borrowing,"
Working Papers on International Economics and Finance
- Marta Gómez-Puig, 2005. "Monetary Integration And The Cost Of Borrowing," Working Papers 05-05, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Marta Gomez Puig, 2005. "Monetary Integration and the Cost of Borrowing," Working Papers in Economics 134, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Peter G. Dunne & Michael J. Moore & Richard Portes, 2002.
"Defining Benchmark Status: An Application using Euro-Area Bonds,"
NBER Working Papers
9087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dunne, Peter & Moore, Michael J & Portes, Richard, 2002. "Defining Benchmark Status: An Application using Euro-Area Bonds," CEPR Discussion Papers 3490, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & Hagen, Jürgen von & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2006.
"Sovereign Risk Premiums in the European Government Bond Market,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
151, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & von Hagen, Jürgen & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2012. "Sovereign risk premiums in the European government bond market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 975-995.
- Gomez-Puig, Marta, 2006. "Size matters for liquidity: Evidence from EMU sovereign yield spreads," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 156-162, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.