The impact of the euro on money and bond markets
AbstractThe paper provides an analysis of the euro area money and bond markets and their infrastructure since the introduction of the euro. Significant development in terms of integration took place in both markets in general to a various degree for the different segments. However, there remain room for further integration after the first year of Stage III of EMU notably regarding the bond market which lags behind in terms of liquidity, market completeness and overall size compared to the US corporate bond market. Analysis of the barriers to integration, which do not seem to be specific to these markets but apply more generally to euro securities infrastructure, identifies fields where further action is required. This covers (i) the lack of availability of cross-border settlement on a DVP basis, (ii) the lack of standardised legal documentation for repos, (iii) the lack of common practices concerning settlement procedures, (iv) the lack or harmonisation of collateralisation processes between national central banks and interbank operations, (v) the heterogeneity in fiscal and accounting procedures and, (vi) the need for a clearing house.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Occasional Paper Series with number 1.
Date of creation: Jul 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gros, Daniel, 1998. "EMU and Capital Markets: Big Bang or Glacier?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 3-34, October.
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez, 2000.
"The daily market for funds in Europe: Has something changed with the EMU?,"
Economics Working Papers
474, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Rodríguez Mendizábal, Hugo, 2001. "The daily market for funds in Europe: Has something changed with the EMU?," Working Paper Series 0067, European Central Bank.
- Quiro, G.P. & Mendizabal, H.R., 2001. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: Has Something Changed with the EMU," Papers 67, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1999. "Bank-based and market-based financial systems - cross-country comparisons," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2143, The World Bank.
- Hans Degryse & Grégory Nguyen, 2004.
"Interbank exposures: an empirical examination of systemic risk in the Belgian banking system,"
Working Paper Research
43, National Bank of Belgium.
- Degryse, H.A. & Nguyen, G., 2004. "Interbank Exposures: An Empirical Examination of Systemic Risk in the Belgian Banking System," Discussion Paper 2004-4, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gajewski, Krzysztof & Olszewski, Krzysztof & Pawłowska, Małgorzata & Rogowski, Wojciech & Tchorek, Grzegorz & Zięba, Jolanta, 2012.
"Integracja finansowa w Europie po wprowadzeniu euro. Przegląd literatury
[Financial integration in Europe after the introduction of the euro. A literature overview]," MPRA Paper 42482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Forssbæck , Jens, 2007.
"The Transition to Marked-Based Monetary Policy: What Can China Learn from the European Experience?,"
Working Paper Series
696, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Forssbaeck, Jens & Oxelheim, Lars, 2007. "The transition to market-based monetary policy: What can China learn from the European experience?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 257-283, April.
- Stéphanie Stolz, 2002. "Banking Supervision in Integrated Financial Markets: Implications for the EU," CESifo Working Paper Series 812, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Manna, Michele & Manzanares, Andres, 2001.
"The microstructure of the euro money market,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 895-948, November.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Manna, Michele & Manzanares, Andrés, 2001. "The microstructure of the euro money market," Working Paper Series 0080, European Central Bank.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Manna, Michele & Manzanares, Andres, 2001. "The Microstructure of the Euro Money Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3081, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marján, Attila, 2003.
"A monetáris unió hatása az európai tőkepiacokra
[The effect of monetary union on European capital markets]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(9), pages 800-818.
- Melnik, Arie & Nissim, Doron, 2006. "Issue costs in the Eurobond market: The effects of market integration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 157-177, January.
- Patricia S. Pollard, 2001. "The creation of the Euro and the role of the dollar in international markets," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 17-36.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Issing, Otmar, 2002. "The international role of the euro," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 315-345, July.
- Avadanei Andreea, . "The Implications Of Economic And Monetary Union In Sustaining European Money Market Integration," Description: Managerial Challenges of the Contemporary Society 1, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Babes-Bolyai University.
- Paolo Emilio Mistrulli, 2003. "Le emissioni delle banche italiane sull' euromercato," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 56(224), pages 461-480.
- Herrmann, Heinz, 2001. "The German financial system and European monetary union," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 37-46.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.