Foreign Direct Investment in Cross-Border Infrastructure Projects
AbstractIn this paper we critically review the relevant information and literature and that can enhance the feasibility and the successful implementation of cross-border infrastructure projects. We provide detailed information concerning FDI into the major emerging regions: East Asia/Pacific, Latin America and Eastern Europe. We also discuss the theoretical and empirical literature which sheds light on the characteristics of transnational infrastructure projects, who should conduct them and what determines their existence. The literature points to the importance of governments to be involved in transnational infrastructure projects as there are clear externalities which will otherwise not be reaped. It also points to the importance of coordination for the project to be successful. The ADB is well placed to perform that role. Lastly we provided a total of six cases of cross-border infrastructure projects, with two from East Asia, two from Latin America and two from Eastern Europe. These cases illustrate the critical need for smooth coordination over the diverse groups of team players, a top-level backing of the projects as well as a thorough Understanding of all the political and financial factors involved that can influence the success of these projects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department in its series Working Papers with number 0917.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Kwok-Chiu Fung & Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Francis Ng, 2011. "Foreign Direct Investment in Cross-Border Infrastructure Projects," Development Economics Working Papers 23262, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kwok-Chiu Fung & Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Francis Ng, 2011. "Foreign Direct Investment in Cross-Border Infrastructure Projects," Governance Working Papers 23262, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Fung, Kwok-Chiu & Garcia-Herrero, Alicia & Ng, Francis, 2011. "Foreign Direct Investment in Cross-Border Infrastructure Projects," ADBI Working Papers 274, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-PPM-2010-04-11 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-SEA-2010-04-11 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & mohammad, Mafizur Rahman, 2011. "The dynamic of financial development, imports, foreign direct investment and economic growth: cointegration and causality analysis in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 32181, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Jul 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (MARIA VICTORIA ESCOLAR POLO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.