Output Dynamics, Technology, and Public Investment
AbstractThe paper studies the dynamic output effects of public infrastructure investment in a small open economy. We develop an overlapping generations model that includes a production externality of public capital and a wealth e ect on labor supply. Public capital enters the rm's production function under various technological scenarios. We show that if factors of production are gross complements and public capital is Solow neutral, which is the empirically plausible case, the long-run output multiplier falls short of its Hicks-neutral value. The way in which public capital augments factor productivity crucially a ects the dynamics of private capital and net foreign assets, but yields qualitatively similar output dynamics. In contrast to conventional results obtained from hysteretic models, we nd non-monotonic output dynamics of a public investment impulse in the non-hysteretic model. Schmitt-Grohe and Uribe's (2003) nding of identical impulse responses across the two model types is thus not robust to the inclusion of spillovers of public capital.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University in its series International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU with number paper1024.
Length: 47 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
infrastructure capital; public investment; fiscal policy; output multipliers; transitional dynamics; technology;
Other versions of this item:
- Duarte Bom, P.R. & Heijdra, B.J. & Ligthart, J.E., 2010. "Output Dynamics, Technology, and Public Investment," Discussion Paper 2010-58, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Duarte Bom, P.R. & Ligthart, J.E., 2011.
"Public Infrastructure Investment, Output Dynamics, and Balanced Budget Fiscal Rules,"
2011-092, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Pedro R. D. Bom & Jenny Ligthart, 2011. "Public Infrastructure Investment, Output Dynamics, and Balanced Budget Fiscal Rules," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1119, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.