An Econometric Analysis of Agricultural Production, Focusing on the Shadow Price of Groundwater: Policies Towards Socio-Economic Sustainability
AbstractThe focus of Chapter 5 is on the agricultural sector in the Asopos catchment as it has a significant impact on the status of water in the area. In particular, the aim of the chapter is to estimate the farmers valuation of groundwater s shadow price for the region of Asopos. In order to achieve that, an agricultural micro-economic data-set from the catchment has been collected through the use of a detailed agricultural questionnaire. As it will be explained in the chapter, the questionnaire focuses on collecting information regarding cultivations, production structures and use of groundwater for irrigation. The objective of the micro-econometric analysis is to uncover patterns of groundwater use and farm efficiency. The chapter presents the derived estimates that make possible the analysis of the impact of different economic policies, -which will be used for the implementation of an optimal, sustainable and integrated water policy- on farmers profits and social welfare. The chapter finishes with policy recommendations based on the principle of socio-economic sustainability that assures both economic efficiency of farms and concludes with the estimation of groundwater for irrigation shadow price and how this can be used in the design of pumping taxes to reduce pollution and to increase farms efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Athens University of Economics and Business in its series DEOS Working Papers with number 1313.
Length: 4225 pages
Date of creation: 06 Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming in Koundouri, P., and N. Papandreou (editors); M. Stithou (assistant editor), 2012. Water Resources Management Sustaining Socio-Economic Welfare: The Implementation of the European Water Framework Directive in Asopos River Basin in Greece. Spr
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-03-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-03-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENV-2013-03-16 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koundouri, Phoebe, 2000. "Three approaches to measuring natural resource scarcity: theory and application to groundwater," MPRA Paper 38265, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman, 2000. "Technical efficiency of European railways: a distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(15), pages 1967-1976.
- Howe, Charles W., 2002. "Policy issues and institutional impediments in the management of groundwater: lessons from case studies," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 625-641, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekaterini Glynou).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.