Generalized stochastic differential utility and preference for information
AbstractThis paper develops, in a Brownian information setting, an approach for analyzing the preference for information, a question that motivates the stochastic differential utility (SDU) due to Duffie and Epstein [Econometrica 60 (1992) 353-394]. For a class of backward stochastic differential equations (BSDEs) including the generalized SDU [Lazrak and Quenez Math. Oper. Res. 28 (2003) 154-180], we formulate the information neutrality property as an invariance principle when the filtration is coarser (or finer) and characterize it. We also provide concrete examples of heterogeneity in information that illustrate explicitly the nonneutrality property for some GSDUs. Our results suggest that, within the GSDUs class of intertemporal utilities, risk aversion or ambiguity aversion are inflexibly linked to the preference for information.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number math/0503579.
Date of creation: Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Annals of Applied Probability 2004, Vol. 14, No. 4, 2149-2175
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zengjing Chen & Larry Epstein, 2002.
"Ambiguity, Risk, and Asset Returns in Continuous Time,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1403-1443, July.
- Zengjing Chen & Larry G. Epstein, 2000. "Ambiguity, risk and asset returns in continuous time," RCER Working Papers 474, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Simon Grant & Atsushi Kajii & Ben Polak, 1996.
"Preference for Information,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1114, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chew, Soo Hong & Ho, Joanna L, 1994. "Hope: An Empirical Study of Attitude toward the Timing of Uncertainty Resolution," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 267-88, May.
- Riedel, Frank, 2004.
"Dynamic coherent risk measures,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 185-200, August.
- Duffie, Darrell & Epstein, Larry G, 1992. "Stochastic Differential Utility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 353-94, March.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.