A theory of bond portfolios
AbstractWe introduce a bond portfolio management theory based on foundations similar to those of stock portfolio management. A general continuous-time zero-coupon market is considered. The problem of optimal portfolios of zero-coupon bonds is solved for general utility functions, under a condition of no-arbitrage in the zero-coupon market. A mutual fund theorem is proved, in the case of deterministic volatilities. Explicit expressions are given for the optimal solutions for several utility functions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number math/0301278.
Date of creation: Jan 2003
Date of revision: May 2005
Publication status: Published in Annals of Applied Probability 2005, Vol. 15, No. 2, 1260-1305
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomas Björk & Yuri Kabanov & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 1997. "Bond Market Structure in the Presence of Marked Point Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 211-239.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Merton, Robert C, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection under Uncertainty: The Continuous-Time Case," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 247-57, August.
- Erik Taflin, 2009. "Generalized integrands and bond portfolios: Pitfalls and counter examples," Papers 0909.2341, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2011.
- Fred Espen Benth & Jukka Lempa, 2012. "Optimal portfolios in commodity futures markets," Papers 1204.2667, arXiv.org.
- Bruno Bouchard & Emmanuel Lepinette & Erik Taflin, 2013. "Robust no-free lunch with vanishing risk, a continuum of assets and proportional transaction costs," Papers 1302.0361, arXiv.org.
- Irene Klein & Thorsten Schmidt & Josef Teichmann, 2013. "When roll-overs do not qualify as num\'eraire: bond markets beyond short rate paradigms," Papers 1310.0032, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.