Measuring correlations between non-stationary series with DCCA coefficient
AbstractIn this short report, we investigate the ability of the DCCA coefficient to measure correlation level between non-stationary series. Based on a wide Monte Carlo simulation study, we show that the DCCA coefficient can estimate the correlation coefficient accurately regardless the strength of non-stationarity (measured by the fractional differencing parameter $d$). For a comparison, we also report the results for the standard Pearson's correlation coefficient. The DCCA coefficient dominates the Pearson's coefficient for non-stationary series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1310.3984.
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-10-25 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2013-10-25 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rebecca J. Sela & Clifford M. Hurvich, 2012. "The averaged periodogram estimator for a power law in coherency," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 340-363, 03.
- Wei-Xing Zhou, 2008. "Multifractal detrended cross-correlation analysis for two nonstationary signals," Papers 0803.2773, arXiv.org.
- Kristoufek, Ladislav, 2013.
"Mixed-correlated ARFIMA processes for power-law cross-correlations,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 392(24), pages 6484-6493.
- Ladislav Kristoufek, 2013. "Mixed-correlated ARFIMA processes for power-law cross-correlations," Papers 1307.6046, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2013.
- S. Shadkhoo & G. R. Jafari, 2009. "Multifractal detrended cross-correlation analysis of temporal and spatial seismic data," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 72(4), pages 679-683, December.
- Ladislav Kristoufek, 2012. "Multifractal Height Cross-Correlation Analysis: A New Method for Analyzing Long-Range Cross-Correlations," Papers 1201.3473, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2012.
- Cao, Guangxi & Xu, Longbing & Cao, Jie, 2012. "Multifractal detrended cross-correlations between the Chinese exchange market and stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(20), pages 4855-4866.
- Ladislav Kristoufek, 2013. "Testing power-law cross-correlations: Rescaled covariance test," Papers 1307.4727, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2013.
- Ladislav Kristoufek, 2013. "Detrending moving-average cross-correlation coefficient: Measuring cross-correlations between non-stationary series," Papers 1311.0657, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.