Efficient Discretization of Stochastic Integrals
AbstractSharp asymptotic lower bounds of the expected quadratic variation of discretization error in stochastic integration are given. The theory relies on inequalities for the kurtosis and skewness of a general random variable which are themselves seemingly new. Asymptotically efficient schemes which attain the lower bounds are constructed explicitly. The result is directly applicable to practical hedging problem in mathematical finance; it gives an asymptotically optimal way to choose rebalancing dates and portofolios with respect to transaction costs. The asymptotically efficient strategies in fact reflect the structure of transaction costs. In particular a specific biased rebalancing scheme is shown to be superior to unbiased schemes if transaction costs follow a convex model. The problem is discussed also in terms of the exponential utility maximization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1204.0637.
Date of creation: Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hayne E. Leland., 1984.
"Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
144, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1985. " Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1283-1301, December.
- Karandikar, Rajeeva L., 1995. "On pathwise stochastic integration," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 11-18, May.
- Lépinette-Denis, Emmanuel & Kabanov, Yuri, 2010.
"Mean square error for the Leland-Lott hedging strategy: convex pay-offs,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/4654, Paris Dauphine University.
- Emmanuel Denis & Yuri Kabanov, 2010. "Mean square error for the Leland–Lott hedging strategy: convex pay-offs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 625-667, December.
- Tankov, Peter & Voltchkova, Ekaterina, 2009. "Asymptotic analysis of hedging errors in models with jumps," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(6), pages 2004-2027, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.