Asymptotics and Duality for the Davis and Norman Problem
AbstractWe revisit the problem of maximizing expected logarithmic utility from consumption over an infinite horizon in the Black-Scholes model with proportional transaction costs, as studied in the seminal paper of Davis and Norman [Math. Operation Research, 15, 1990]. Similarly to Kallsen and Muhle-Karbe [Ann. Appl. Probab., 20, 2010], we tackle this problem by determining a shadow price, that is, a frictionless price process with values in the bid-ask spread which leads to the same optimization problem. However, we use a different parametrization, which facilitates computation and verification. Moreover, for small transaction costs, we determine fractional Taylor expansions of arbitrary order for the boundaries of the no-trade region and the value function. This extends work of Janecek and Shreve [Finance Stoch., 8, 2004], who determined the leading terms of these power series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1010.0627.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision: Aug 2011
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- H. Mete Soner & Nizar Touzi, 2012. "Homogenization and asymptotics for small transaction costs," Papers 1202.6131, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2013.
- Jin Hyuk Choi, 2013. "Asymptotic analysis for Merton's problem with transaction costs in power utility case," Papers 1309.3721, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2013.
- Stefan Gerhold & Paolo Guasoni & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & Walter Schachermayer, 2011. "Transaction Costs, Trading Volume, and the Liquidity Premium," Papers 1108.1167, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2013.
- Dylan Possama\"i & H. Mete Soner & Nizar Touzi, 2012. "Homogenization and asymptotics for small transaction costs: the multidimensional case," Papers 1212.6275, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.