Homogenization and asymptotics for small transaction costs
AbstractWe consider the classical Merton problem of lifetime consumption-portfolio optimization problem with small proportional transaction costs. The first order term in the asymptotic expansion is explicitly calculated through a singular ergodic control problem which can be solved in closed form in the one-dimensional case. Unlike the existing literature, we consider a general utility function and general dynamics for the underlying assets. Our arguments are based on ideas from the homogenization theory and use the convergence tools from the theory of viscosity solutions. The multidimensional case is studied in our accompanying paper using the same approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1202.6131.
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision: Jun 2013
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dumas, Bernard & Luciano, Elisa, 1991. " An Exact Solution to a Dynamic Portfolio Choice Problem under Transactions Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 577-95, June.
- Magill, Michael J. P. & Constantinides, George M., 1976. "Portfolio selection with transactions costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 245-263, October.
- Freddy Delbaen & Yuri M. Kabanov & Esko Valkeila, 2002. "Hedging under Transaction Costs in Currency Markets: a Discrete-Time Model," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 45-61.
- Stefan Gerhold & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & Walter Schachermayer, 2010. "Asymptotics and Duality for the Davis and Norman Problem," Papers 1010.0627, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2011.
- Karel Janeček & Steven Shreve, 2004. "Asymptotic analysis for optimal investment and consumption with transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 181-206, 05.
- Constantinides, George M, 1986. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Transaction Costs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 842-62, August.
- C. Atkinson & S. Mokkhavesa, 2004. "Multi-asset portfolio optimization with transaction cost," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 95-123.
- Halil Mete Soner & Guy Barles, 1998. "Option pricing with transaction costs and a nonlinear Black-Scholes equation," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 369-397.
- Paolo Guasoni & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2012. "Portfolio Choice with Transaction Costs: a User's Guide," Papers 1207.7330, arXiv.org.
- Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2013. "The General Structure of Optimal Investment and Consumption with Small Transaction Costs," Papers 1303.3148, arXiv.org.
- Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2012. "Option Pricing and Hedging with Small Transaction Costs," Papers 1209.2555, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2012.
- Christoph K\"uhn & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2013. "Optimal Liquidity Provision in Limit Order Markets," Papers 1309.5235, arXiv.org.
- Jose V. Alcala & Arash Fahim, 2013. "Balancing small fixed and proportional transaction cost in trading strategies," Papers 1304.7562, arXiv.org.
- Bruno Bouchard & Ludovic Moreau & Mete H. Soner, 2013. "Hedging under an expected loss constraint with small transaction costs," Papers 1309.4916, arXiv.org.
- Maxim Bichuch & Ronnie Sircar, 2014. "Optimal Investment with Transaction Costs and Stochastic Volatility," Papers 1401.0562, arXiv.org.
- Dylan Possama\"i & H. Mete Soner & Nizar Touzi, 2012. "Homogenization and asymptotics for small transaction costs: the multidimensional case," Papers 1212.6275, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2013.
- Dylan Possama\"i & Guillaume Royer, 2014. "General indifference pricing with small transaction costs," Papers 1401.3261, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.