Asymptotic analysis for Merton's problem with transaction costs in power utility case
AbstractWe revisit the optimal investment and consumption problem with proportional transaction costs. We prove that both the value function and the slopes of the lines demarcating the no-trading region are analytic functions of cube root of the transaction cost parameter. Also, we can explicitly calculate the coefficients of the fractional power series expansions of the value function and the no-trading region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1309.3721.
Date of creation: Sep 2013
Date of revision: Sep 2013
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Karel Janeček & Steven Shreve, 2004. "Asymptotic analysis for optimal investment and consumption with transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 181-206, 05.
- Merton, Robert C, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection under Uncertainty: The Continuous-Time Case," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 247-57, August.
- Magill, Michael J. P. & Constantinides, George M., 1976. "Portfolio selection with transactions costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 245-263, October.
- Stefan Gerhold & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & Walter Schachermayer, 2010. "Asymptotics and Duality for the Davis and Norman Problem," Papers 1010.0627, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2011.
- J. Kallsen & J. Muhle-Karbe, 2010. "On using shadow prices in portfolio optimization with transaction costs," Papers 1010.4989, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.