The evolution and performance of spin-off ventures: integration and elaboration of existing models
AbstractThe article aims to give an overview of the main models in the spin-off research field and to streamline further research in this domain. The main evolution and performance models known in literature will be analysed. The evolution models will be discussed in increasing order of complexity. However, the existing models will prove to be inadequate to reflect the real-life situation. Therefore, a new integrative model will be discussed. Afterwards, the main performance models will be presented, after a short overview of the factors influencing venture performance that have already been identified in literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2006031.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-20 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hubert Ooghe & Jan Camerlynck & Sofie Balcaen, 2002.
"The Ooghe-Joos-De Vos failure prediction models: a cross-industry validation,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2001-9, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Hubert Ooghe & Sofie Balcaen & Jan Camerlynck, 2003. "The Ooghe-Joos-De Vos failure prédiction models: a cross-industry validation," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 46(1), pages 39-70.
- H. Ooghe & N. Waeyaert, 2003. "Oorzaken van faling en falingspaden: Literatuuroverzicht en conceptueel verklaringsmodel," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/187, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Cassar, Gavin, 2004. "The financing of business start-ups," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 261-283, March.
- Dahlstrand, Asa Lindholm, 1997. "Growth and inventiveness in technology-based spin-off firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 331-344, October.
- Pompe, Paul P.M. & Bilderbeek, Jan, 2005. "The prediction of bankruptcy of small- and medium-sized industrial firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 847-868, November.
- S. Balcaen & H. Ooghe, 2004. "35 years of studies on business failure: an overview of the classical statistical methodologiesand their related problems," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/248, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Goldfarb, Brent & Henrekson, Magnus, 2003. "Bottom-up versus top-down policies towards the commercialization of university intellectual property," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 639-658, April.
- Jeannette Colyvas & Michael Crow & Annetine Gelijns & Roberto Mazzoleni & Richard R. Nelson & Nathan Rosenberg & Bhaven N. Sampat, 2002. "How Do University Inventions Get Into Practice?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 61-72, January.
- Vohora, Ajay & Wright, Mike & Lockett, Andy, 2004. "Critical junctures in the development of university high-tech spinout companies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 147-175, January.
- Clarysse, Bart & Moray, Nathalie, 2004. "A process study of entrepreneurial team formation: the case of a research-based spin-off," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 55-79, January.
- Zacharakis, Andrew L. & Meyer, G. Dale, 2000. "The potential of actuarial decision models: Can they improve the venture capital investment decision?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 323-346, July.
- Grandi, Alessandro & Grimaldi, Rosa, 2005. "Academics' organizational characteristics and the generation of successful business ideas," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 821-845, November.
- Scott Shane & Toby Stuart, 2002. "Organizational Endowments and the Performance of University Start-ups," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 154-170, January.
- Felicia Diana Nicoara & Dorin Maier & Andreea Maier, 2013. "General Aspects Related To The Technology Transfer, The Main Source Of Innovation And Development Among Economic Operators," Annals - Economy Series, Constantin Brancusi University, Faculty of Economics, vol. 4, pages 139-147, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.