Public transport performance: what do we learn from frontier studies?
AbstractThis article provides a comprehensive survey of the literature on production and cost frontiers for public transit operators, and it evaluates the contributions of frontier analysis to our understanding of the performance of the public transport sector. We first succinctly contrast best practice (or frontier) and average practice specifications of technology. We also review a number of relevant performance indicators and the methods to measure them. Next, the existing frontier studies measuring urban transit performance are systematically summarised and critically assessed. It is shown that the organisation of the market, contract design, the degree and nature of the regulatory regime, and the characteristics of the network being served are all important determinants of inefficiency. However, although the frontier literature has substantially contributed to the knowledge of urban transit technologies and the determinants of performance, it is found that many important issues remain unresolved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2000019.
Length: 52 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2000
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raimund Scheffler & Karl-Hans Hartwig & Robert Malina, 2010. "Measuring Efficiency of German Bus Public Transport," Working Papers 14, Institute of Transport Economics, University of Muenster.
- Karl-Hans Hartwig & Raimund Scheffler, 2009. "Größenvorteile im deutschen ÖSPV – Eine empirische Analyse," Working Papers 13, Institute of Transport Economics, University of Muenster.
- Beniamina Margari & Fabrizio Erbetta & Carmelo Petraglia & Massimiliano Piacenza, 2007.
"Regulatory and environmental effects on public transit efficiency: a mixed DEA-SFA approach,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 131-151, October.
- Beniamina Buzzo Margari & Fabrizio Erbetta & Carmelo Petraglia & Massimiliano Piacenza, 2006. "Regulatory and Environmental Effects on Public Transit Efficiency. A Mixed DEA-SFA Approach," CERIS Working Paper 200613, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Dag Dalen & Andres Gómez-Lobo, 2003. "Yardsticks on the road: Regulatory contracts and cost efficiency in the Norwegian bus industry," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 371-386, November.
- Christian von Hirschhausen & Astrid Cullmann, 2008. "Next Stop: Restructuring? : A Nonparametric Efficiency Analysis of German Public Transport Companies," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 831, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Carlos Pestana Barros, 2008. "The Technical Efficiency of UK Airports," Working Papers 2008/10, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Astrid Cullman & Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2009.
"Unobserved Heterogeneity and International Benchmarking in Public Transport,"
CEPE Working paper series
09-65, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Massimo Filippini & Mehdi Farsi & Marie-Anne Plagnet & Roxana Saplacan, 2010. "Unobserved Heterogeneity and International Benchmarking in Public Transport," CEPE Working paper series 10-73, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Astrid Cullmann & Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2009. "Unobserved Heterogeneity and International Benchmarking in Public Transport," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 960, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Cullmann, Astrid & Farsi, Mehdi & Filippini Massimo, 2009. "Unobserved Heterogeneity and International Benchmarking in Public Trasport," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0904, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Maria Nieswand & Matthias Walter, 2010. "Cost Efficiency and Subsidization in German Local Public Bus Transit," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1071, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Matthias Walter & Astrid Cullmann, 2008. "Potential Gains from Mergers in Local Public Transport : An Efficiency Analysis Applied to Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 832, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Nicolas Peypoch & Philippe Villard, 2011. "Productivity Changes in Canadian Airports and Technological Change Analysis," Working Papers 2011/05, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- William Roy & Anne Yvrande-Billon, 2007. "Ownership, Contractual Practices and Technical Efficiency: The Case of Urban Public Transport in France," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00107375, HAL.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2009.
"Negative Data in DEA: A Simple Proportional Distance Function Approach,"
2009/04, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2009. "Negative Data in DEA: A Simple Proportional Distance Function Approach," Working Papers 2009-ECO-03, IESEG School of Management.
- De Borger B. & Kerstens K. & Staat M., 2008.
"Transit costs and cost efficiency: bootstrapping non-parametric frontiers,"
2008012, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- de Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Staat, Matthias, 2008. "Transit costs and cost efficiency: Bootstrapping non-parametric frontiers," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 53-64, January.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Matthias Staat, 2008. "Transit Costs and Cost Efficiency: Bootstrapping Nonparametric Frontiers," Working Papers 2008-ECO-08, IESEG School of Management.
- K. Obeng, 2011. "Indirect production function and the output effect of public transit subsidies," Transportation, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 191-214, March.
- Julien Lévêque & William Roy, 2004. "Quelles avancées permettent les techniques de frontière dans la mesure de l'efficience des exploitants de transport urbain ?," Post-Print halshs-00091900, HAL.
- Axel Gautier & Anne Yvrande-Billon, 2008.
"Contract Renewal as an Incentive Device. An Application to the French Urban Public Transport Sector,"
CREPP Working Papers
0805, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- GAUTIER, Axel & YVRANDE-BILLON, Anne, 2008. "Contract renewal as an incentive device. An application to the French urban public transport sector," CORE Discussion Papers 2008068, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.