GINI DP 68: Material Deprivation in Europe
AbstractIntroduction Most research on poverty in Europe employs income to distinguish the poor, with a great deal of research and debate on how best to establish an income cut-off – examples from a very large literature include Atkinson, Rainwater and Smeeding (1995) and the OECD’s recent comparative studies Growing Unequal (2008) and Divided We Stand (2011). In parallel, though, non-monetary indicators of living standards and deprivation have also been developed and investigated, notably in Townsend’s (1979) pioneering work using them to derive and validate an income poverty threshold, and Mack and Lansley’s (1985) attempt to directly identify those experiencing exclusion in Britain. Since then an extensive research literature on measures of material deprivation in OECD countries has grown up, with the valuable review by Boarini and Mira d’Ercole (2006) listing over a hundred studies. A much more limited set of studies employs non-monetary indicators to capture and analyse poverty and exclusion in a comparative perspective, in particular the countries of the European Union (EU) before and after enlargement (This research is reviewed, and a full set of references given, in Nolan and Whelan, 2011, Chapter 2).These rely on indicators from the European Community Household Panel Survey (ECHP) organised by Eurostat and carried out in most of the (then) EU member states from the mid-1990s to 2001, and from the EU-Statistics on Income and Living Conditions (EU-SILC) data-gathering framework which replaced the ECHP. ...
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies in its series GINI Discussion Papers with number 68.
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romina Boarini & Marco Mira d'Ercole, 2006. "Measures of Material Deprivation in OECD Countries," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 37, OECD Publishing.
- Francesco Figari, 2012.
"Cross-national differences in determinants of multiple deprivation in Europe,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 397-418, September.
- Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 2011. "Poverty and Deprivation in Europe," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199588435, September.
- Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 1996. "Resources, Deprivation, and Poverty," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287858, September.
- Christopher T. Whelan & Brian Nolan & Bertrand Maitre, 2008. "Measuring Material Deprivation in the Enlarged EU," Papers WP249, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Guio, Anne-Catherine & Fusco, Alessio & Marlier, Eric, 2009. "A European Union Approach to Material Deprivation using EU-SILC and Eurobarometer data," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-19, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiemer Salverda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.