The EU 2020 Poverty Target
AbstractAs part of its 2020 Strategy adopted in 2010, the EU has set a number of headline targets including one for poverty reduction over the next decade. This is a major development in the role accorded to social inclusion in the EU, and thus very important at the level of principle. However, the specific way the target itself has been framed, and the implications for approaches to implementing it, also merit careful consideration. The population identified in framing the target is persons in the member states either below a country-specific relative income poverty threshold, above a material deprivation threshold, or in a “jobless” household. This paper presents an in-depth analysis and critique of the way that target is formulated on both conceptual and empirical grounds and documents the consequence for our understanding of both cross-national and socio-economic patterning of poverty. The paper concludes with a discussion of alternative approaches to combining low income and material deprivation to identify those most in need from a poverty reduction perspective.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Geary Institute, University College Dublin in its series Working Papers with number 201111.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 22 Jun 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494.
- Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 2011. "Poverty and Deprivation in Europe," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199588435.
- Christopher T. Whelan & Brian Nolan & Bertrand Maitre, 2008. "Measuring Material Deprivation in the Enlarged EU," Papers WP249, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- FUSCO Alessio & GUIO Anne-Catherine & MARLIER Eric, 2011. "Income poverty and material deprivation in European countries," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2011-04, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Alessio Fusco & Philippe Kerm & A. Alieva & L. Bellani & F. Etienne-Robert & A.-C. Guio & I. Kyzyma & K. Leduc & P. Liégeois & M.N.P. Alperin & A. Reinstadler & E. Sierminska & D. Sologon & P. Thill , 2013. "GINI Country Report: Growing Inequalities and their Impacts in Luxembourg," GINI Country Reports luxembourg, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- J. Vrooman & Stella Hoff, 2013. "The Disadvantaged Among the Dutch: A Survey Approach to the Multidimensional Measurement of Social Exclusion," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 113(3), pages 1261-1287, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geary Tech).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.