Total Factor Productivity in Brazil’s and Argentina’s Agriculture: A Comparative Analysis
AbstractWe measure Malmquist index of total factor productivity (TFP) changes in the agricultural sector of Brazil and Argentina during 1971-2002. The TFP change index is further decomposed into efficiency change and technical change. We then compare the cumulative TFP growth and its components in both countries. Results show that agricultural TFP change as well as efficiency and technical change accelerated in Brazilian agriculture, where as Argentinean agriculture experienced a negative trend in TFP growth over the sample period. Efficiency change in Argentina’s agriculture was found to be stagnant over time. The increasing productivity in Brazil is due to strong policy reform in 1980s. Argentina’s imbalanced economy, including biased reforms explains the negative TFP growth and technical regress during this period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida with number 143036.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Total Factor Productivity; Data Envelopment Analysis; Agriculture in Brazil and Argentina; Policy Reform; Agricultural and Food Policy; International Development; Productivity Analysis; C61; O47; O57; Q16; Q18;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-02-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-02-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-LAM-2013-02-16 (Central & South America)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clemente, Jesus & Montanes, Antonio & Reyes, Marcelo, 1998. "Testing for a unit root in variables with a double change in the mean," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 175-182, May.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Alejandro Nin-Pratt & Bingxin Yu & Shenggen Fan, 2010. "Comparisons of agricultural productivity growth in China and India," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 209-223, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.