Scale Economies And Economic Performance In Southeastern U.S. Cow-Calf Production
AbstractThe objective of this study is to assess the scale and technical efficiencies and other economic performance measures of southeastern U.S. cow-calf farms. We describe and compare cow-calf operations by size and farm resource region and measure their relative competitiveness. We estimate an input distance function using stochastic production frontier techniques (SPF).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida with number 143009.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Cow-calf; performance measures; scale efficiency; technical efficiency; Farm Management; Livestock Production/Industries; Production Economics; Productivity Analysis;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-02-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-02-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. Samarajeewa & G. Hailu & S. R. Jeffrey & M. Bredahl, 2012. "Analysis of production efficiency of beef cow/calf farms in Alberta," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(3), pages 313-322, January.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Ismet, Mohammad, 1997. "A Nonparametric Analysis Of Efficiency For A Sample Of Kansas Beef Cow Farms," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), July.
- Trestini, Samuele, 2006. "Technical Efficiency of Italian Beef Cattle Production Under a Heteroscedastic Non-Neutral Production Frontier Approach," Conference Papers 6683, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- McBride, William D. & Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr., 2011. "The Diverse Structure and Organization of U.S. Beef Cow-Calf Farms," Economic Information Bulletin 102764, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Nehring, Richard F. & Peel, Derrell S. & Nulph, David, 2009. "Cow-Calf Farm Management: Farm survey evidence from 2007," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46672, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.