Pricing Fed Cattle on a Grid: An Analysis of the Incentive Mechanism over Time
AbstractEmpirical results suggest that the grid premium and discount structure is slowly adjusting carcass quality incentive/disincentive market signals to encourage marketing on a grid and discourage marketing by the pen. If this trend continues, grid market share of steer and heifer slaughter volume should increase in the future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama with number 119670.
Date of creation: 13 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
fed cattle; grid; marketing; market share; livestock production; Livestock Production/Industries; Marketing; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods; Q13;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fausti, Scott W. & Diersen, Matthew A. & Qasmi, Bashir A. & Li, Jing, .
"Value-Based Marketing: A Discussion of Issues and Trends in the Slaughter Cattle Market,"
Journal of Agribusiness,
Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Diersen, Matthew A. & Qasmi, Bashir A. & Li, Jing, 2009. "Value-Based Marketing: A Dsicussion of Issues and Trends in the Slaughter Cattle Market," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 28(2).
- Fausti, Scott W. & Qasmi, Bashir A., 2002. "Does The Producer Have An Incentive To Sell Fed Cattle On A Grid?," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 5(01).
- Johnson, Heather C. & Ward, Clement E., 2005. "Market Signals Transmitted by Grid Pricing," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(03), December.
- Dillon M. Feuz & Scott W. Fausti & John J. Wagner, 1993. "Analysis of the efficiency of four marketing methods for slaughter cattle," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(5), pages 453-463.
- Anderson, John D. & Zeuli, Kimberly A., 2001. "The Revenue Risk Of Value-Based Pricing For Fed Cattle: A Simulation Of Grid Vs. Average Pricing," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(03).
- McDonald, R. Allen & Schroeder, Ted C., 2003. "Fed Cattle Profit Determinants Under Grid Pricing," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(01), April.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Feuz, Dillon M. & Wagner, John J., 1998. "Value Based Marketing For Fed Cattle: A Discussion Of The Issues," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 1(01).
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Ward, Clement E. & Mintert, James R. & Peel, Derrell S., 1997. "Value-Based Pricing of Fed Cattle: Challenges and Research Agenda," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35837, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Qasmi, Bashir A. & Li, Jing & Diersen, Matthew A., 2010. "The Effect of the Livestock Mandatory Reporting Act on Market Transparency and Grid Price Dispersion," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 39(3), October.
- Feuz, Dillon M. & Fausti, Scott W. & Wagner, John J., 1995. "Risk And Market Participant Behavior In The U.S. Slaughter-Cattle Market," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.