A Dynamic Application of the AIDS Model to Import Demand for Tropical Fresh Fruits in the USA
AbstractWe estimate a dynamic version of an almost ideal demand system (AIDS) model for U.S.A. imports of fresh tropical fruits: bananas, pineapples, avocadoes, papayas, mangoes/guavas, grapes and other fresh fruit imports. An error correction model specification is justified after unit root and cointegration test results confirm nonstationarity and cointegration of the data. Estimated income elasticities show that fresh grapes and other fresh fruit imports appear to be considered luxury commodities. All own-price elasticities were negative and significant. While imported bananas, pineapples, U.S.A. grapes and other fresh fruit were quite inelastic, demand for papayas and mangoes/guavas were elastic. Fresh fruits that are shown to be complementary to imported fruits include bananas, imported grapes, U.S.A. grapes and avocados, and imported avocados/other fresh fruits. Key
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil with number 126721.
Date of creation: 29 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Tropical Fruits; Import Demand; Almost Ideal Demand Systems; Error Correction; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Seung-Ryong & Koo, Won W., 1994. "Japanese Meat Import Demand Estimation With The Source Differentiated Aids Model," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Amy L. Sparks, 1992. "A system-wide approach to import demand for US fresh oranges," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 253-260.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1995. "Units of Measurement and the 'Stone Index' In Demand System Estimation," Staff General Research Papers 5058, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Banerjee, Anindya, et al, 1986. "Exploring Equilibrium Relationships in Econometrics through Static Models: Some Monte Carlo Evidence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 253-77, August.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Schmitz, Troy G. & Seale, James L., Jr., 2002.
"Import Demand for Disaggregated Fresh Fruits in Japan,"
15639, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Schmitz, Troy G. & Seale, James L., Jr., 2002. "Import Demand For Disaggregated Fresh Fruits In Japan," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- You, Zhikang & Epperson, James E. & Huang, Chung L., 1996. "A Composite System Demand Analysis For Fresh Fruits And Vegetables In The United States," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 27(3), October.
- Nzaku, Kilungu & Houston, Jack E., 2009. "Analysis of U.S. Demand for Fresh Tropical Fruit and Vegetable Imports," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46850, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Fonsah, Esendugue Greg & Muhammad, Andrew, 2008. "The Demand for Imported Apple Juice in the United States," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 39(1), March.
- Karagiannis, G. & Katranidis, S. & Velentzas, K., 2000. "An error correction almost ideal demand system for meat in Greece," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 29-35, January.
- Muhammad, Andrew & Jones, Keithly G. & Hahn, William F., 2007. "The Impact of Domestic and Import Prices on U.S. Lamb Imports: A Production System Approach," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(2), October.
- Seale, James L., Jr. & Sparks, Amy L. & Buxton, Boyd M., 1992. "A Rotterdam Application To International Trade In Fresh Apples: A Differential Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Huang, Kuo S. & Lin, Biing-Hwan, 2000. "Estimation Of Food Demand And Nutrient Elasticities From Household Survey Data," Technical Bulletins 33579, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- repec:ner:carlos:info:hdl:10016/3319 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wells, Hodan Farah & Buzby, Jean C., 2008. "Dietary Assessment of Major Trends in U.S. Food Consumption, 1970-2005," Economic Information Bulletin 58641, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Jonq-Ying Lee & James L. Seale & Pattana A. Jierwiriyapant, 1990. "Do trade agreements help US exports? A study of the Japanese citrus industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(5), pages 505-514.
- Arnade, Carlos & Pick, Daniel, 1998. "Seasonality and unit roots: the demand for fruits," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 53-62, January.
- Washington, Andrew A. & Kilmer, Richard L., 2000.
"The Production Theory Approach To Import Demand Analysis: A Comparison Of The Rotterdam Model And The Differential Production Approach,"
2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL
21829, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Washington, Andrew A. & Kilmer, Richard L., 2002. "The Production Theory Approach To Import Demand Analysis: A Comparison Of The Rotterdam Model And The Differential Production Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- Jeroen J.M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992.
"The power of cointegration tests,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Andayani, Sri R.M. & Tilley, Daniel S., 1997. "Demand And Competition Among Supply Sources: The Indonesian Fruit Import Market," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Wang, Xiaojin & Reed, Michael, 2013. "Estimation of Import Demand for Fishery Products in the U.S. Using the Source-Differentiated AIDS Model," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150207, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wang, Xiaojin & Saghaian, Sayed H., 2012. "The Impact of the Melamine Scandal and other Factors Influencing China's Dairy Imports," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142742, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.