Documenting the Status of Dairy Manure Management in New York: Current Practices and Willingness to Participate in Voluntary Programs
AbstractDespite intense policy interest in livestock operations and water quality, only anecdotal evidence exists regarding actual manure management practices on dairy farms. This paper discuss the results of a unique mail survey of 470 New York dairy farms that links manure management practices and farmer willingness to participate in voluntary environmental programs. Analysis of this data set indicates a wide divergence between actual and recommended manure management practices on individual dairy farms (high), the apparent ability of farms to divert financial resources to environmental practices (mixed), and the willingness to participate in voluntary programs at various annual costs per cow (low). These findings have policy implications for the USDAIUSEPA National Strategy for Animal Feeding Operations and New York's Agricultural Environmental Management program.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management in its series Staff Papers with number 121154.
Date of creation: Sep 1999
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bills, Nelson L. & Cosgrove, Jeremiah P., 1998. "Agricultural Districts: Lessons from New York," Staff Papers 121159, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Osborn, Tim, 1998.
"The effect of rental rates on the extension of Conservation Reserve Program contracts,"
24781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph C. Cooper & C. Tim Osborn, 1998. "The Effect of Rental Rates on the Extension of Conservation Reserve Program Contracts," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 184-194.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Keim, Russ, 1996.
"Incentive payments to encourage farmer adoption of water quality protection practices,"
24779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph C. Cooper & Russ W. Keim, 1996. "Incentive Payments to Encourage Farmer Adoption of Water Quality Protection Practices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 54-64.
- McGuire, Richard T., 1994. "A new model to reach water quality goals," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 9(2).
- Cameron, Trudy Ann, 1988. "A new paradigm for valuing non-market goods using referendum data: Maximum likelihood estimation by censored logistic regression," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 355-379, September.
- Welsh, Michael P. & Poe, Gregory L., 1998. "Elicitation Effects in Contingent Valuation: Comparisons to a Multiple Bounded Discrete Choice Approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 170-185, September.
- Trudy Ann Cameron, 1991. "Interval Estimates of Non-Market Resource Values from Referendum Contingent Valuation Surveys," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(4), pages 413-421.
- Luanne Lohr & Timothy A. Park, 1995. "Utility-Consistent Discrete-Continuous Choices in Soil Conservation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 71(4), pages 474-490.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.