An Analysis of International Raisin Trade: A Gravity Model Approach
AbstractThe countries competing for the world Raisin Market are Chile, Greece, Iran, South Africa, Turkey, and the United States. Raisin is one of the top Turkish export products. Turkish raisin sector is facing an increasing competition in international markets. The aim of this work is to explain the magnitude of the trade flows for raisin from Turkey and other exporting countries to its main importing countries. This objective has been reached by establishing an appropriate econometric model derived from an extended form of the “Gravity Model”. To apply gravity model, a panel data with the most important six exporters of raisin and their importing countries between the years of 1999- 2008 were set up. Panel data models estimated with pooled ordinary least squares and fixed effects model under some diagnostic tests. Finally, some proposals and suggestions are developed for increasing the international competitiveness of the raisin production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia with number 152200.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Raisin; Export Analysis; Gravity Model; Panel data; Turkey; International Relations/Trade; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward Christie, 2001.
"Potential Trade in Southeast Europe: A Gravity Model Approach,"
wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers
11, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Edward Christie, 2002. "Potential Trade in Southeast Europe: a Gravity Model Approach," wiiw Working Papers 21, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Shiro Armstrong, 2007.
"Measuring Trade and Trade Potential : A Survey,"
Trade Working Papers
21904, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ozgul Bilici & Erkan Erdil & I. Hakan Yetkiner, 2008. "The Determining Role of EU in Turkey's Trade Flows: A Gravity Model Approach," Working Papers 0806, Izmir University of Economics.
- Sampath Jayasinghe & Rakhal Sarker, 2004. "Effects of Regional Trade Agreements on Trade in Agrifood Products: Evidence from Gravity Modeling Using Disaggregated Data," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-wp374, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Nguyen Trung Kien & Yoshizo Hashimoto, 2005. "Economic Analysis Of Asean Free Trade Area; By A Country Panel Data," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 05-12, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Sampath Jayasinghe & Rakhal Sarker, 2004. "Effects of Regional Trade Agreements on Trade in Agrifood Products: Evidence from Gravity Modeling Using Disaggregated Data," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 04-wp374, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.