Drugs as a Rational Choice: Preliminary Explorations of Marijuana Consumption in Australia
AbstractAlthough an illegal commodity, Australian marijuana market is estimated to be in the size of as large as $5 billion annually. Understanding the consumer behaviour of illicit drug consumption is essential in drug policy debate. Using micro unit data from the most recent National Drug Strategy Household Surveys, ordered Probit model is estimated to study the effects of some social, economic and demographic factors on the frequency of an individual’s marijuana consumption. A sequential model is also estimated that examines separately the decisions of whether to participate in regular consumption and how often to consume the drug. Results indicate that some factors may have opposite effects on the two decisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia with number 58276.
Date of creation: Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
illicit drugs; marijuana demand; probit model; Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2003.
"Three Facts About Marijuana Prices,"
2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia
57846, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2004. "Three facts about marijuana prices," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), June.
- Kenneth W. Clements, 2002. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 02-10, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Kenneth W. Clements, 2004. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 04-06, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Cameron, Lisa & Williams, Jenny, 2001. "Cannabis, Alcohol and Cigarettes: Substitutes or Complements?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(236), pages 19-34, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.