Geographic Distribution of Renewable Energy Sector Industries: An Analysis Using Recent Developments in Industry Concentration Measurement
AbstractRecent developments in firm location analysis are applied to explore the concentration patterns of firms making up the green energy sectors in 2002 and 2006. A two-step procedure is applied in this analysis. First, Guimarães, Figueiredo, and Woodward’s spatial adaption of Ellison and Glaeser’s industry concentration index are applied to estimate the degree to which firms making up the so-called green energy sectors tend to exhibit concentration. In the second stage, the spatial distribution of concentration is analyzed using a statistical framework, also suggested by Guimarães, Figueiredo, and Woodward. Preliminary results suggest that green energy subsectors exhibit significant global concentration, but localized concentration appears to be random.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington with number 124038.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
global; local; industry concentration measures; green energy sectors; Community/Rural/Urban Development; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods; C21; L20;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2012-06-25 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2012-06-25 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2012-06-25 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2012-06-25 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ellison, G. & Glaeser, E.L., 1994.
"Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach,"
94-27, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ellison, Glenn & Glaeser, Edward L, 1997. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 889-927, October.
- Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," NBER Working Papers 4840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guimarães, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octávio & Woodward, Douglas, 2009.
"Dartboard tests for the location quotient,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 360-364, May.
- Octávio Figueiredo & Paulo Guimarães & Douglas Woodward, 2007. "Localization Economies and Establishment Scale: A Dartboard Approach," FEP Working Papers 247, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octávio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2004. "Industrial Location Modeling: Extending the Random Utility Framework," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-20.
- Paulo Guimarães & Octávio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2011.
"Accounting For Neighboring Effects In Measures Of Spatial Concentration,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 678-693, October.
- Paulo Guimarães & Octávio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2009. "Accounting for Neighboring Effects in Measures of Spatial Concentration," FEP Working Papers 353, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Paulo Guimar�es & Octávio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2007. "Measuring The Localization Of Economic Activity: A Parametric Approach," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 753-774.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.