Harvest Cost and Value of Citrus Operations with Alternative Technology: Real Options Approach
AbstractThe prospect of immigration policy reform has renewed growers’ concerns of serious labor shortages and cost increases. These concerns are more serious for specialty crop agriculture, not only because it is highly labor intensive, but also it requires labor in a very short period, particularly at harvest time. Two representative approaches of the investment valuation have been applied to the case of harvesting mechanization for the model citrus grower in Florida. Specifically, we applied the NPV approach and the real options approach (ROA) to processed-market Hamlin orange operations in Southwest Florida.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin with number 49942.
Date of creation: 11 May 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Real options; NPV; mechanization; immigration policy; harvest cost; citrus operations; Agribusiness; Agricultural Finance; Farm Management; Labor and Human Capital; Risk and Uncertainty; Q14 – Agricultural Finance; J43 – Agricultural Labor Markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q14 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Finance
- J43 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Agricultural Labor Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cdl:agrebk:677103 is not listed on IDEAS
- Emerson, Robert D., 2007. "Agricultural Labor Markets and Immigration," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 22(1).
- Iwai, Nobuyuki & Emerson, Robert D. & Roka, Fritz M., 2009. "Labor Cost and Value of Citrus Operations with Alternative Technology: Enterprise DCF Approach," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46836, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.