Taxing International Income: An Analysis of the U.S. System and Its Economic Premises
In: Taxation in the Global Economy
AbstractThis paper describes the basic U.S. legal rules that govern the taxation of international transactions and explores the economic policies or principles they reflect. Particular attention is paid to the changes made by the Tax Reform Act of 1986, but it is impossible to understand the 1986 Act changes without placing them in the context of the general taxing system applicable to international transactions. The exposition is intended to be intelligible to readers with either legal or economic training.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number 7203.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- David F. Bradford & Hugh J. Ault, 1990. "Taxing International Income: An Analysis of the U.S. System and Its Economic Premises," NBER Working Papers 3056, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash, 1985. "Tax policy in open economies," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 313-374 Elsevier.
- Mutti, John & Grubert, Harry, 1985. "The taxation of capital income in an open economy: the importance of resident-nonresident tax treatment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 291-309, August.
- Feldstein, Martin & Hartman, David, 1979. "The Optimal Taxation of Foreign," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 613-29, November.
- Boss, Alfred, 1990. "Kapitaleinkommensbesteuerung und internationale Kapitalbewegungen," Kiel Working Papers 426, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Jason Cummins & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1995.
"The Tax Sensitivity of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Firm-Level Panel Data,"
in: The Effects of Taxation on Multinational Corporations, pages 123-152
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jason G. Cummins & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1994. "The Tax Sensitivity of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Firm-Level Panel Data," NBER Working Papers 4703, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, H.W., 1990.
"Taxation And The Birth Of Foreign Subsidiaries,"
66, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Joel Slemrod, 1995.
"Free trade taxation and protectionist taxation,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 471-489, October.
- Rosanne Altshuler & Harry Grubert, 1996. "Balance Sheets, Multinational Financial Policy, and the Cost of Capital at Home and Abroad," NBER Working Papers 5810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Slemrod, J., 1990.
"The Impact Of The Tax Reform Act Of 1986 On Foreign Direct Investment To And From The United States,"
256, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Joel Slemrod, 1990. "The Impact of the Tax Reform Act of 1986 on Foreign Direct Investment to and from the United States," NBER Working Papers 3234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Whalley, 2001. "Puzzles Over International Taxation of Cross Border Flows of Capital Income," NBER Working Papers 8662, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosanne Altshuler & Harry Grubert, 1998. "Multinational Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital: The Many Roads Home," Departmental Working Papers 199807, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Thalmann & Lawrence Goulder & François Delorme, 1996.
"Assessing the international spillover effects of capital income taxation,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 449-478, October.
- Philippe THALMANN & Lawrence H. GOULDER & François DELORME, 1994. "Assessing the International Spillover Effects of Capital Income Taxation," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9411, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Vijay Jog & Jianmin Tang, 2001. "Tax Reforms, Debt Shifting and Tax Revenues: Multinational Corporations in Canada," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 5-25, January.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1987. "Fiscal Policies and the World Economy; An Intertemporal Approach (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1987)," MPRA Paper 20438, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rosanne Altshuler, 2000. "Recent Developments in the Debate on Deferral," Departmental Working Papers 200013, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Alfons Weichenrieder, 1996. "Anti-tax-avoidance provisions and the size of foreign direct investment," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 67-81, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.