Towards integrated island management: lessons from Lau, Malaita, for the implementation of a national approach to resource management in Solomon Islands
AbstractSolomon Islands has recently developed substantial policy aiming to support inshore fisheries management, conservation, climate change adaptation and ecosystem approaches to resource management. A large body of experience in community based approaches to management has developed but Ã´upscalingÃ¶ and particularly the implementation of nation-wide approaches has received little attention so far. With the emerging challenges posed by climate change and the need for ecosystem wide and integrated approaches attracting serious donor attention, a national debate on the most effective approaches to implementation is urgently needed. This report discusses potential implementation of Ã´a cost-effective and integrated approach to resource management that is consistent with national policy and needsÃ¶ based on a review of current policy and institutional structures and examination of a recent case study from Lau, Malaita using stakeholder, transaction and financial cost analyses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The WorldFish Center in its series Working Papers with number 39500 and published in 2011.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Jalan Batu Maung, Batu Maung, 11960 Bayan Lepas, Penang
Phone: +60 4 626 1606
Fax: +60 4 626 5530
Web page: http://www.worldfishcenter.org/
More information through EDIRC
Resource management; Policies; Fishery management; Conservation; Environment management; ISEW; Pacific; Solomon Is.; Malaita I.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q00 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Govan, Hugh, 2009. "Status and potential of locally-managed marine areas in the Pacific Island Region: meeting nature conservation and sustainable livelihood targets through wide-spread implementation of LMMAs," MPRA Paper 23828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdullah, Nik Mustapha Raja & Kuperan, K. & Pomeroy, Robert S., 1998. "Transaction Costs And Fisheries Co-Management," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 13(2).
- World Bank, 2012. "Pacific Islands - Fisheries sector engagement strategy," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2730, The World Bank.
- Govan, H. & Schwarz, A.M. & Harohau, D. & Oeta, J. & Orirana, G. & Ratner, B.D., 2013. "Solomon Islands: Essential aspects of governance for Aquatic Agricultural Systems in Malaita Hub," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 40233.
- Schwarz, A.M. & Andrew, N. & Govan, H. & Harohau, D. & Oeta, J., 2013. "Solomon Islands: Malaita Hub scoping report," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 40234.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William Ko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.