AbstractThis book presents fifteen essays, written over the past dozen years, on egalitarianism. The essays explore contemporary philosophical debates on this subject, using the tools of modern economic theory, general equilibrium theory, game theory, and the theory of mechanism design. Egalitarian Perspectives is divided into four parts: the theory of exploitation; equality of resources; bargaining theory and distributive justice; and market socialism and public ownership. The first part presents Roemer's influential reconceptualisation of the Marxian theory of exploitation as a theory of distributive justice. The second part offers a critique of Ronald Dworkin's equality-of-resources theory, and puts forward a new egalitarian proposal based upon a specific method of measuring individual responsibility. The third part introduces a novel application of the theory of mechanism design to the study of political philosophy, and raises new concerns about the limitations of that application. The fourth part presents the author's views on market socialism and public ownership, and demonstrates that Professor Roemer is at the forefront of refining new theories and conceptions of market socialism.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9780521450669 and published in 1994.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bruce Philip, 2001. "Marxism, Neoclassical Economics and the Length of the Working Day," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 27-39.
- Moulin, Herve & Sprumont, Yves, 2006.
"Responsibility and cross-subsidization in cost sharing,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 152-188, April.
- Moulin, Herve & Sprumont, Yves, 2002. "Responsibility and Cross-Subsidization in Cost Sharing," Working Papers 2002-05, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- MOULIN, Hervé & SPRUMONT, Yves., 2002. "Responsibility and Cross-Subsidization in Cost Sharing," Cahiers de recherche 2002-19, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Álvaro Gallardo, 2007. "Políticas distributivas, marxismo de elección racional y marxismo clásico: un análisis comparativo," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 9(17), pages 213-240, July-Dece.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2004:i:26:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.