Production, inventory and waiting time
AbstractIn this paper, I introduce the idea of adjusting waiting time as an alternative to price adjustment in order to study the relationship between waiting time, demand, profits and inventories. In the model, demand depends on both price and waiting time. Consumers are willing to pay more if they do not have to wait long. I derive the conditions under which a monopoly may profit from utilizing the option of holding inventory by changing the waiting time facing the consumers. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2007)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blinder, Alan S, 1991.
"Why Are Prices Sticky? Preliminary Results from an Interview Study,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 89-96, May.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1991. "Why are Prices Sticky? Preliminary Results from an Interview Study," NBER Working Papers 3646, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lach, Saul & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1992. "The Behavior of Prices and Inflation: An Empirical Analysis of Disaggregated Price Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 349-89, April.
- Slade, Margaret E, 1998. "Optimal Pricing with Costly Adjustment: Evidence from Retail-Grocery Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(1), pages 87-107, January.
- Daniel Levy & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen & Robert Venable, 1998.
"Price adjustment at multiproduct retailers,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 81-120.
- Leif Danziger, 1998.
"A Dynamic Economy with Costly Price Adjustment,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
83, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Paroush Jacob & Spiegel Uriel, 1995. "Price Discrimination with One-way Separated Markets," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 441-452.
- Haddock, David D & McChesney, Fred S, 1994. "Why Do Firms Contrive Shortages? The Economics of Intentional Mispricing," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(4), pages 562-81, October.
- Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen & Daniel Levy & Robert Venable, 2005.
"Menu Costs, Posted Prices, and Multiproduct Retailers,"
- Dutta, Shantanu, et al, 1999. "Menu Costs, Posted Prices, and Multiproduct Retailers," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(4), pages 683-703, November.
- Epstein, Gil S., 1996. "The extraction of natural resources from two sites under uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 309-313, June.
- I.P.L. Png & David Reitman, 1994. "Service Time Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(4), pages 619-634, Winter.
- Levy, Daniel, 2007.
"Price Rigidity and Flexibility: Recent Theoretical Developments,"
2761, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel Levy, 2007. "Price rigidity and flexibility: recent theoretical developments," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(6), pages 523-530.
- Daniel Levy, 2006. "Price Rigidity and Flexibility: Recent Theoretical Developments," Emory Economics 0608, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Georg Müller & Mark Bergen & Shantanu Dutta & Daniel Levy, 2007. "Non-price rigidity and cost of adjustment," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(7), pages 817-832.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.