Credit demand in Mozambican manufacturing
AbstractThis paper uses two industrial firm surveys to identify the key determinants of credit demand in Mozambican manufacturing. We construct five different measures of being credit constrained and estimate desired debt demand. Besides firm size and ownership structure, we find evidence that general manager education and business association membership are associated with whether a firm is credit constrained or not. Using our preferred measure of credit constraint suggests that around 43 per cent of the firms surveyed are constrained, and these enterprises would almost triple their debt burden if borrowing constraints were relaxed. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 22 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps, 2000.
"Credit Constraints in Manufacturing Enterprises in Africa,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2000-24, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Cathy Patillo & M�ns S–derbom & Francis Teal & Albert Zeuf, 2003. "Credit Constraints in Manufacturing Enterprises in Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(1), pages 104-125, March.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Måns Söderbom & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Cathy Pattillo & Francis Teal & Albert Zeufa, 2000. "Credit constraints in manufacturing enterprises in Africa," CSAE Working Paper Series 2000-24, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 2000. "Ethnicity and credit in African manufacturing," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 205-235, February.
- Fabio Schiantarelli, 1995.
"Financial constraints and investment: a critical review of methodological issues and international evidence,"
Conference Series ; [Proceedings],
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 39, pages 177-226.
- Fabio Schiantarelli, 1995. "Financial Constraints and Investment: A Critical Review of Methodological Issues and International Evidence," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 293., Boston College Department of Economics.
- John Rand, 2007.
"‘Credit Constraints and Determinants of the Cost of Capital in Vietnamese Manufacturing’,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 1-13, June.
- John Rand, 2004. "Credit Constraints and Determinants of the Cost of Capital in Vietnamese Manufacturing," Discussion Papers 05-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Jones, Sam & Tarp, Finn, 2013. "Jobs and welfare in Mozambique," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Henrik Hansen & John Rand, 2011. "Another Perspective on Gender Specific Access to Credit in Africa," IFRO Working Paper 2011/14, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- repec:esr:wpaper:rn2013/1/3 is not listed on IDEAS
- O'Toole, Conor & Gerlach, Petra & O'Connell, Brian, 2013. "Measuring Credit Constraints for Irish SMEs," Research Notes RN2013/1/3, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Gerlach, Petra & O'Connell, Brian & O'Toole, Conor, 2013. "SME Credit Constraints and Macroeconomic Effects," Papers WP467, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Casey, Eddie & O'Toole, Conor, 2013. "Bank-lending constraints and alternative financing during the financial crisis: Evidence from European SMEs," Papers WP450, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Conor M. O.Toole, 2012. "Does Financial Liberalisation Improve Access to Investment Finance in Developing Countries?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- World Bank, 2009. "Mozambique - Investment Climate Assessment - 2009 : Sustaining and Broadening Growth," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3158, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.