Social risk management options for medical care in Indonesia
AbstractThis paper investigates the extent to which price subsidies for medical care are a suitable instrument to reduce household's exposure to catastrophic financial risks associated with ill-health in Indonesia. Using the 1995 SUSENAS household survey, the observed distribution of user fees and health expenditures is used to derive a distribution of 'needed' medical expenditures. The trade-off between the tax burden and effectiveness in reducing the exposure to catastrophic risk is analyzed for two existing price regimes along with a number of hypothetical regimes. We find that the existing regimes significantly reduce the exposure to catastrophic shocks but do not eliminate them. Simulations suggest that further reductions could be achieved if a larger proportion of government subsidies were directed to inpatient care. Subsidizing outpatient treatment is a cost effective policy to reduce exposure to catastrophic risks only for the very poor. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2002)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert M. Townsend, .
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center, Chicago - Population Research Center
91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Townsend, R.M., 1991. "Risk and Insurance in Village India," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center, Chicago - Economics Research Center 91-3, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Hogg, Robert V. & Klugman, Stuart A., 1983. "On the estimation of long tailed skewed distributions with actuarial applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 91-102, September.
- Paul Gertler & Jonathan Gruber, 1998.
"Insuring Consumption Against Illness,"
JCPR Working Papers, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research
41, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Paul Gertler & Jonathan Gruber, 2002. "Insuring Consumption Against Illness," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 51-70, March.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Kakwani, Nanak & Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1997. "Socioeconomic inequalities in health: Measurement, computation, and statistical inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 87-103, March.
- Jacoby, Hanan G & Skoufias, Emmanuel, 1997. "Risk, Financial Markets, and Human Capital in a Developing Country," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 311-35, July.
- Liu, Dan & Tsegai, Daniel W., 2011. "The New Cooperative Medical Scheme (NCMS) and its implications for access to health care and medical expenditure: Evidence from rural China," Discussion Papers, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF) 116746, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Kim, Chang-O & Joung, Won Oh, 2014. "Effect of the Crisis Assistance Program on poverty transition for seriously ill people in South Korea: A quasi-experimental study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 28-35.
- Caballes, Alvin B. & Söllner, Walter & Nañagas, Juan, 2012. "Financial protection mechanisms for inpatients at selected Philippine hospitals," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 75(10), pages 1820-1827.
- Eddy van Doorslaer, 2007. "Paying Out-of-Pocket for Health Care in Asia: Catastrophic and Poverty Impact," Working Papers id:823, eSocialSciences.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Bart Minten, 2003.
"Public Service Provision, User Fees, and Political Turmoil,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2003-15, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Bart Minten, 2007. "Public Service Provision, User Fees and Political Turmoil," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 16(3), pages 485-518, June.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Bart Minten, 2003. "Public Service Provision, User Fees, and Political Turmoil," Economics Series Working Papers, University of Oxford, Department of Economics WPS/2003-15, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Bart Minten, 2004. "Public Service Provision, User Fees, and Political Turmoil," Development and Comp Systems 0409039, EconWPA.
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Owen O'Donnell & Ravindra P. Rannan-Eliya & Aparnaa Somanathan & Shiva Raj Adhikari & Charu C. Garg & Deni Harbianto & Alejandro N. Herrin & Mohammed Nazmul Huq & Shamsia Ibragimo, 2007. "Catastrophic payments for health care in Asia," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(11), pages 1159-1184.
- Galarrága, O & Sosa-Rubí, S. G & Salinas, A & Sesma, S, 2008. "The Impact of Universal Health Insurance on Catastrophic and Out-of-Pocket Health Expenditures in Mexico: a Model with an Endogoenous Treatment Variable," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York 08/12, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Indrani Gupta & William Joe, 2013. "Refining estimates of catastrophic healthcare expenditure: an application in the Indian context," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 157-172, June.
- Mohammad Abu-Zaineh & Habiba Romdhane & Bruno Ventelou & Jean-Paul Moatti & Arfa Chokri, 2013. "Appraising financial protection in health: the case of Tunisia," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 73-93, March.
- Mussa, Richard, 2014. "Exit from Catastrophic Health Payments: A Method and an Application to Malawi," MPRA Paper 56618, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Owen Oâ€™ Donnell, 2010.
"Measurement and Explanation of Inequality in Health and Health Care in Low-Income Settings,"
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & O'Donnell, Owen, 2008. "Measurement and Explanation of Inequality in Health and Health Care in Low-Income Settings," Working Paper Series, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) DP2008/04, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Syed M. Ahsan & Syed Abdul Hamid & Shubhasish Barua, 2012. "Utilisation of Formal Health Care and Out-of-Pocket Payments in Rural Bangladesh," Working Papers, Institute of Microfinance (InM) 13, Institute of Microfinance (InM).
- Sparrow, Robert & Suryahadi, Asep & Widyanti, Wenefrida, 2013. "Social health insurance for the poor: Targeting and impact of Indonesia's Askeskin programme," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 96(C), pages 264-271.
- Adam Wagstaff & Marcel Bilger & Zurab Sajaia & Michael Lokshin, 2011. "Health Equity and Financial Protection : Streamlined Analysis with ADePT Software," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2306, August.
- Thierry Debrand & Christine Sorasith, 2010. "Bouclier sanitaire : choisir entre égalité et équité ? Une analyse à partir du modèle ARAMMIS," Working Papers, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics DT32, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Jun 2010.
- Omar Galárraga & Sandra Sosa-Rubí & Aarón Salinas-Rodríguez & Sergio Sesma-Vázquez, 2010. "Health insurance for the poor: impact on catastrophic and out-of-pocket health expenditures in Mexico," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 11(5), pages 437-447, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.