Experience, Tenure, and Wage Growth of Young Black and White Men
AbstractThis paper studies the source of differences in wage growth between young black and white workers. Focusing on "terminal" high school graduates from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth, we estimate the returns to on-the-job tenure and general labor market experience using ordinary least squares, Altonji and Shakotko, and Topel estimators. Results from all three estimators indicate that returns to general experience for black workers trail those for white workers, but that black workers earn equal if not higher returns to tenure than do white workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 33 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter A. Groothuis & James Richard Hill, 2008.
"Exit Discrimination in Major League Baseball: 1990–2004,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 574-590, October.
- Peter A. Groothuis & Richard Hill, 2007. "Exit Discrimination in Major League Baseball: 1990-2004," Working Papers 07-02, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- FANG Zheng & Chris SAKELLARIOU, 2010.
"Discrimination in the Equilibrium Search Model with Wage-Tenure Contracts,"
Economic Growth centre Working Paper Series
1004, Nanyang Technolgical University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth centre.
- Zheng Fang & Chris Sakellariou, 2013. "Discrimination in the Equilibrium Search Model with Wage-Tenure Contracts," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 14(2), pages 451-480, November.
- Fang, Zheng & Sakellariou, Chris, 2010. "Discrimination in the Equilibrium Search Model with Wage-Tenure Contracts," MPRA Paper 27515, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erling Barth & Bernt Bratsberg & Oddbjørn Raaum, 2011.
"Immigrant Wage Profiles Within and Between Establishments,"
Norface Discussion Paper Series
2011019, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Barth, Erling & Bratsberg, Bernt & Raaum, Oddbjørn, 2012. "Immigrant wage profiles within and between establishments," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 541-556.
- Harry J. Holzer & Robert J. LaLonde, 1999.
"Job Change and Job Stability Among Less-Skilled Young Workers,"
9928, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- H. J. Holzer & R. J. LaLonde, . "Job Change and Job Stability among Less-Skilled Young Workers," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1191-99, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Harry J. Holzer & Robert J. LaLonde, 1999. "Job Change and Job Stability Among Less-Skilled Young Workers," JCPR Working Papers 80, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Stephen L. Ross, 2003. "What Is Known about Testing for Discrimination: Lessons Learned by Comparing across Different Markets," Working papers 2003-21, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2003.
- Sullivan, Paul, 2006.
"Empirical Evidence on Occupation and Industry Specific Human Capital,"
863, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sullivan, Paul, 2010. "Empirical evidence on occupation and industry specific human capital," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 567-580, June.
- Munasinghe, Lalith & Reif, Tania & Henriques, Alice, 2008. "Gender gap in wage returns to job tenure and experience," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1296-1316, December.
- Zhang, Xuelin, 2002. "Wage Progression of Less Skilled Workers in Canada: Evidence from the SLID (1993-1998)," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2002194e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Heather Antecol & Kelly Bedard, 2004.
"The Racial Wage Gap: The Importance of Labor Force Attachment Differences across Black, Mexican, and White Men,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(2).
- Heather Antecol & Kelly Bedard, 2001. "The Racial Wage Gap: The Importance of Labor Force Attachment Differences Across Black, Mexican and White Men," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2001-35, Claremont Colleges.
- Koop, Gary M & Poirier, Dale J & Tobias, Justin, 2005.
"Semiparametric Bayesian Inference in Multiple Equation Models,"
Staff General Research Papers
12009, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Dale J. Poirier & Gary Koop & Justin Tobias, 2005. "Semiparametric Bayesian inference in multiple equation models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 723-747.
- Arif Mamun, 2012. "Cohabitation Premium in Men’s Earnings: Testing the Joint Human Capital Hypothesis," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 53-68, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.