Reported VS. Actual Job Search by Unemployment Insurance Claimants
AbstractThis study compares self-reported job search contacts of unemployment insurance recipients with independently verified job-search contacts. For the total sample, reported contacts averaged 2.61 per week compared with actual contacts of only 1.78 per week; nearly one-fifth of the sample made no job contacts for the single weeks analyzed. The separate equations estimated for reported and actual job contacts suggest that systematic misreporting may distort the conclusions-particularly for the impact of unemployment insurance benefits on search intensity-that would result from analyzing reported (rather than actual) contacts. Some implications of the findings for reported unemployment rates also are explored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 21 (1986)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dan A. Black & Jeffrey A. Smith & Mark C. Berger & Brett J. Noel, 2002. "Is the Threat of Reemployment Services More Effective than the Services Themselves? Experimental Evidence from the UI System," NBER Working Papers 8825, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- René Böheim & Mark P Taylor, 2002. "Job search methods, intensity and success in Britain in the 1990s," Economics working papers 2002-06, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Roy, Arun S. & Wong, Ging, 1999. "Incidence of non-compliance with unemployment insurance regulations and associated claimant characteristics," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 341-351, August.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2001-07 is not listed on IDEAS
- Parsons, Donald O., 2014. "Job Displacement Insurance: An Overview," IZA Discussion Papers 8223, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.