An Analysis of Intra-Industry Trade between Japan, Malaysia and China
AbstractThis paper investigates the bilateral trade pattern between Japan, Malaysia and China (JMC) using the intra-industry trade (IIT) index analysis. Our empirical findings revealed the following. First, China shows a higher degree of IIT relation with Japan vis-à-vis Malaysia. Second, to the extent of whether rapid manufacturing development in China is affecting Malaysia’s export to Japan, our analytical evidence demonstrates that the degree of overlapping exports to Japan by Malaysia and China has increased over time. Although this trend appears to be an indication of increasing competition from China in relation to Malaysia’s products in the Japanese market, our empirical evidence – detailing the degree of product similarity between Malaysia and China using the unit value (UV) measurement – shows that both countries’ exports actually comprise mainly vertically differentiated products or different segments of the market in Japan. Nevertheless, the results also reveal that, compared to Malaysia, China is rapidly increasing its export share in horizontally differentiated products or similar market segments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya in its journal International Journal of Institutions and Economies.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
- Japan; Malaysia; China; intra-industry trade; SITC Rev.2; ISIC Rev.3;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L70 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michael Freudenberg & Guillaume Gaulier, 2005. "Disentangling Horizontal and Vertical Intra-Industry Trade," Working Papers 2005-10, CEPII research center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Dr. Rajah Rasiah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.