Exporter performance and promotion instruments: Chilean empirical evidence
AbstractDuring recent decades, the good performance of the export sector has been one of the main sources of fast economic growth in the Chilean economy. In this paper, we evaluate the impact of some public promotion instruments on the export sector. Using plant level data, the econometric evidence shows that these kinds of policies have generated a positive impact on firm performance. We identify qualitative and quantitative effects. In qualitative aspects, we find a positive impact on technological innovation and several aggressive activities in international markets. In quantitative terms, we can infer that promotion instruments are effective for increasing exports and markets. However, there is no evidence of any positive impact on the number of products exported by the firms. In addition, our results suggest that only some instruments, specifically export committees, are effective for opening new markets and for increasing exports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its journal Estudios de Economia.
Volume (Year): 27 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 Year 2000 (December)
Export; Chile; Promotion Instruments.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- O22 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Project Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amin Gutierrez de Pineres, Sheila & Ferrantino, Michael, 1997. "Export diversification and structural dynamics in the growth process: The case of Chile," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 375-391, April.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1991.
"Trade Orientation, Distortions and Growth in Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3716, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1992. "Trade orientation, distortions and growth in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 31-57, July.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
- Cansino, José M. & Lopez-Melendo, Jaime & Pablo-Romero, María del P. & Sánchez-Braza, Antonio, 2013. "An economic evaluation of public programs for internationalization: The case of the Diagnostic program in Spain," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 38-46.
- Alvarez, Roberto, 2004. "Sources of export success in small- and medium-sized enterprises: the impact of public programs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 383-400, June.
- Olivier CADOT & Ana FERNANDES & Julien GOURDON & Aaditya MATTOO & Jaime de MELO, 2013.
"Evaluating Aid for Trade : A Survey of Recent Studies,"
- Olivier Cadot & Ana Fernandes & Julien Gourdon & Aaditya Mattoo & Jaime Melo, 2014. "Evaluating Aid for Trade: A Survey of Recent Studies," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(4), pages 516-529, 04.
- Cadot, Olivier & Fernandes, Ana & Gourdon, Julien & Mattoo, Aaditya & de Melo, Jaime, 2014. "Evaluating aid for trade : a survey of recent studies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6742, The World Bank.
- Olivier Cadot & Ana Fernandes & Julien Gourdon & Aaditya Mattoo & Jaime de Melo, 2013. "Evaluating Aid for Trade: A Survey of Recent Studies," Working Papers 2013-33, CEPII research center.
- Olivier CADOT & Ana FERNANDES & Julien GOURDON & Aaditya MATTOO & Jaime de MELO, 2013. "Evaluating Aid for Trade : A Survey of Recent Studies," Working Papers P75, FERDI.
- Cadot, Olivier & de Melo, Jaime & Fernandes, Ana & Gourdon, Julien & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2013. "Evaluating Aid for Trade: A Survey of Recent Studies," CEPR Discussion Papers 9690, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcio Cruz, 2014.
"Do Export Promotion Agencies Promote New Exporters?,"
85293, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Cruz, Marcio, 2014. "Do export promotion agencies promote new exporters ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7004, The World Bank.
- Jacint Jordana & Christian Volpe Martincus & Andrés Gallo, 2010. "Export Promotion Organizations in Latin America and the Caribbean: An Institutional Portrait," IDB Publications 39338, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Claudio A. Bonilla & Christian A. Cancino, 2001. "El impacto del Programa de Capital Semilla del Sercotec en Chile," IDB Publications 53658, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Volpe Martincus, Christian & Carballo, Jerónimo, 2008. "Is export promotion effective in developing countries? Firm-level evidence on the intensive and the extensive margins of exports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 89-106, September.
- Rodrigo Wagner & Andrés Zahler, 2011.
"New Exports from Emerging Markets:Do Followers Beneit from Pioneers ?,"
18, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
- Wagner, Rodrigo & Zahler, Andrés, 2011. "New exports from emerging markets: do followers benefit from pioneers ?," MPRA Paper 30312, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Claudio A. Bonilla & Christian A. Cancino, 2011. "The Impact of the Seed Capital Program of SERCOTEC in Chile," IDB Publications 61258, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Gladys Lopez-Acevedo & Hong W. Tan, 2011. "Impact Evaluation of Small and Medium Enterprise Programs in Latin America and the Caribbean," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2298, July.
- Volpe Martincus, Christian & Carballo, Jerónimo, 2010.
"Beyond the average effects: The distributional impacts of export promotion programs in developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 201-214, July.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Jerónimo Carballo, 2010. "Beyond The Average Effects: The Distributional Impacts of Export Promotion Programs in Developing Countries," IDB Publications 36718, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Kazunobu Hayakawa & Hyun-Hoon Lee & Donghyun Park, 2014.
"Do Export Promotion Agencies Increase Exports?,"
The Developing Economies,
Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 52(3), pages 241-261, 09.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo López, 2004. "Orientación Exportadora y Productividad en la Industria Manufacturera Chilena," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 41(124), pages 315-343.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.