Ouverture sur l'extérieur et instabilité des taux de croissance
AbstractThis paper considers the effects of a more or less trade and capital openness on the instability of the growth rate. Indicators of outward looking policies are estimated by eliminating the impact of structural factors through a standardization equation. Then indicators of growth instability are estimated. Open trade policies are assumed to be stabilizing because they improve the working of markets. But open financial policies, when the financial system is underdeveloped, may increase instability due to speculative capital flows. Econometric analysis relying on a large sample of developed and developing countries for three periods beginning in 1970 allows to not reject these assumptions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CERDI in its series Working Papers with number 199927.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Revue Française d'économie, Hiver 2000, pages 3-33
stratégies de développement.; ouverture économique; instabilité macro-économique; instabilité de la croissance; mondialisation;
Other versions of this item:
- P. Guillaumont & J.-L Combes & S. Guillaumont Jeanneney & P. Motel Combes, 2000. "Ouverture sur l'extérieur et instabilité des taux de croissance," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 15(1), pages 3-33.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean-Louis Combes & Tahsin Saadi-Sedik, 2006.
"How does trade openness influence budget deficits in developing countries?,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(8), pages 1401-1416.
- Jean-Louis Combes & Tahsin Saadi-Sedik, 2006. "How Does Trade Openness Influence Budget Deficits in Developing Countries?," IMF Working Papers 06/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Chauvet, Lisa & Guillaumont, Patrick, 2009.
"Aid, volatility, and growth again : when aid volatility matters and when it does not,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/5400, Paris Dauphine University.
- Lisa Chauvet & Patrick Guillaumont, 2009. "Aid, Volatility, and Growth Again: When Aid Volatility Matters and When it Does Not," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(s1), pages 452-463, 08.
- Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Lisa CHAUVET, 2007. "Aid, Volatility and Growth Again When Aid Volatility Matters and When it Does Not," Working Papers 200707, CERDI.
- Chauvet, Lisa & Guillaumont, Patrick, 2008. "Aid, Volatility and Growth Again: When Aid Volatility Matters and When It Does Not," Working Paper Series RP2008/78, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Lisa Chauvet & Patrick Guillaumont, 2011. "Aid, Volatility and Growth Again. When Aid Volatility Matters and When it Does Not," Working Papers halshs-00557123, HAL.
- Chauvet, Lisa, 2003.
"Socio-political instability and the allocation of international aid by donors,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 33-59, March.
- Chauvet, Lisa, 2003. "Socio-political instability and the allocation of international aid by donors," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5404, Paris Dauphine University.
- Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Jean-Louis COMBES, 2000. "Volatilité des prix des produits primaires, vulnérabilité et développement," Working Papers 200014, CERDI.
- Joël CARIOLLE, 2012. "Measuring macroeconomic volatility - Applications to export revenue data, 1970-2005," Working Papers I14, FERDI.
- Diallo, Ibrahima Amadou, 2012. "The effects of real exchange rate volatility on productivity growth," MPRA Paper 36171, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillaumont, Patrick, 2008. "An Economic Vulnerability Index: Its Design and Use for International Development Policy," Working Paper Series RP2008/99, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Joël CARIOLLE, 2012. "Mesurer l’instabilité macroéconomique - Applications aux données de recettes d’exportation, 1970-2005," Working Papers I14, FERDI.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Mazenod).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.