Education and Income Growth: Implications for Cross-Country Inequality
AbstractThis paper examines the extent to which patterns of human capital convergence can account for observed patterns of income inequality between countries. The author decomposes national income into three components: one due to education levels, one reflecting the return to education, and a residual component. He then examines the contribution of each to changes in income dispersion. Among the developed countries, convergence in education levels has resulted in a reduction in income dispersion. However, for the world as a whole, incomes have diverged despite substantial convergence in education levels. Copyright 1995 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 103 (1995)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Digdowiseiso, Kumba, 2010. "Measuring gini coefficient of education: the Indonesian cases," MPRA Paper 19865, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Coen Teulings & Thijs van Rens, 2008.
"Education, Growth, and Income Inequality,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 89-104, February.
- Coen Teuling & Thijs van Rens, 2001. "Education, growth and income inequality," Economics Working Papers 942, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2006.
- Coen N. Teulings & Thijs van Rens, 2002. "Education, Growth and Income Inequality," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-001/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 05 Mar 2003.
- Teulings, Coen N & van Rens, Thijs, 2003. "Education, Growth and Income Inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 3863, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thijs van Rens, 2002. "Education, Growth and Income Inequality," CESifo Working Paper Series 653, CESifo Group Munich.
- Spruk, Rok, 2011. "Productivity and income convergence in transition: theory and evidence from Central Europe," MPRA Paper 33389, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Harmon, Colm & Walker, Ian & Westergaard-Nielsen, Niels, 2001. "Introduction [to Education and earnings in Europe : a cross country analysis of the returns to education]," Open Access publications from University College Dublin urn:hdl:10197/757, University College Dublin.
- Morris Altman, 2003. "Economic Growth and Income Equality: Implications of a Behavioural Model of Economic Growth for Pub lic Policy," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 29(s1), pages 87-118, January.
- Blázquez, Maite & Ramos, Jose, 2007. "Disparidades entre Educación Formal y Educación en el Puesto de Trabajo," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2007/10, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Chun-Hung Lin, 2007. "Education Expansion, Educational Inequality, and Income Inequality: Evidence from Taiwan, 1976–2003," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 80(3), pages 601-615, February.
- Herbst, Mikolaj & Wójcik, Piotr, 2011. "Growth and divergence of the polish subregions over 1995–2006: a search for determinants and spatial patterns," MPRA Paper 34731, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- O'Neill, Donal & Van Kerm, Philippe, 2004.
"A new approach for analysing income convergence across countries,"
IRISS Working Paper Series
2004-03, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Donal O'Neill & Philippe Van Kerm, 2004. "A New Approach For Analysing Income Convergence Across Countries," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 144, Royal Economic Society.
- Robert A.J. Dur & Coen N. Teulings, 2001.
"Education and Efficient Redistribution,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
01-090/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 12 Jun 2003.
- Checchi, D., 2000.
"Does Educational Achievement Help to Explain Income Inequality?,"
208, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Daniele Checchi, 2000. "Does educational achievement help to explain income inequality?," Departmental Working Papers 2000-11, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Diego Restuccia & Carlos Urrutia, 1999. "Public Policy, Price Distortions, and Investment Rates," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9901, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Abhijeet, Chandra, 2010. "Does Government Expenditure on Education Promote Economic Growth? An Econometric Analysis," MPRA Paper 25480, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Restuccia, Diego & Urrutia, Carlos, 2001. "Relative prices and investment rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 93-121, February.
- Hernando Zuleta, 2004. "A Note on Scale Effects," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(1), pages 237-242, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.