Investment Shocks and Asset Prices
AbstractI explore the implications for asset prices and macroeconomic dynamics of shocks that improve real investment opportunities and thus affect the representative household’s marginal utility. These investment shocks generate differences in risk premia due to their heterogeneous impact on firms: they benefit firms producing investment relative to firms producing consumption goods and increase the value of growth opportunities relative to the value of existing assets. Using data on asset returns, I find that a positive investment shock leads to high marginal utility states. A general equilibrium model with investment shocks matches key features of macroeconomic quantities and asset prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 119 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Pages: 639 - 685
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrew Y. Chen, 2013. "External Habit in a Production Economy," 2013 Papers pch1244, Job Market Papers.
- Görtz, Christoph & Tsoukalas, John, 2011.
"News and financial intermediation in aggregate and sectoral fluctuations,"
40442, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2012.
- Görtz, Christoph & Tsoukalas, John, 2011. "News and financial intermediation in aggregate and sectoral fluctuations," MPRA Paper 38986, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2012.
- Görtz, Christoph & Tsoukalas, John D., 2012. "News and Financial Intermediation in Aggregate and Sectoral Fluctuations," Dynare Working Papers 12, CEPREMAP.
- Christoph Gortz & John D Tsoukalas, 2012. "News and Financial Intermediation in Aggregate and Sectoral Fluctuations," Discussion Papers 12-10, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Christoph Görtz & John D. Tsoukalas, 2013. "Sector Specific News Shocks in Aggregate and Sectoral Fluctuations," CESifo Working Paper Series 4269, CESifo Group Munich.
- Nadav Ben Zeev & Hashmat U. Khan, 2012. "Investment-Specific News Shocks and U.S. Business Cycles," Carleton Economic Papers 12-05, Carleton University, Department of Economics, revised 25 Feb 2013.
- Leonid Kogan & Dimitris Papanikolaou, 2012. "Growth Opportunities, Technology Shocks, and Asset Prices," NBER Working Papers 17795, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.